Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dgpop

Troybilt mower suddenly won't go fast

dgpop
11 years ago

I have a Troybilt (MTD) riding mower model 13AZ609H063. A week ago my daughter was mowing and suddenly it wouldn't go forward. I found that the spring holding the idler pulley at the transmission had broken/fallen off. While I waited for the part, I simply used string and strong rubber bands :-) to keep tension on the pulley and she was able to mow fine. Once the spring arrived I installed it and now you can push the drive pedal about as hard as you can and you move along a slow pace - simply can't go any fast and can't push the pedal any harder. This is a variable drive (I guess that's the right term) with just forward/neutral/reverse and the speed comes from how far you push the drive pedal. I've looked underneath the mower and the pedal seems to be doing what it's supposed to do - tightening the whole drive belt system so that power transfers from the engine pulley to the transmission pulley in the back. Seems like the new spring is too strong and not allowing the belt at the engine pulley to get tight enough but that's just a guess. Any suggestions?

Comments (8)

• tomplum
    11 years ago

Well, there is that question of whether or not you have the proper spring. There are many to choose from. Did you have the old one to match up? Any question that the spring is hooked up in the proper places? It goes from the tension arm then to the frame rail or some have a extra nutted bolt it hooks to rather than directly in the frame. If it drove fine w/ the temporary set up you had, it would indicate that the rest is Ok. In theory if it is hooked up properly, the VS pulley sticking is the next likely cause. Try running the pedal through the motions whilst still in neutral first, then with it in gear.

• btotzeck
    10 years ago

I have a troy bilt lawnmower GTX-2446, We bought it used and I can walk faster then it moves. Is there a way to make it move faster?

• tomplum
    10 years ago

Likely worn traction belts /stuck variable speed pulley. Should you choose to go further, be sure to use the OEM belts and if you replace the front belt- do the rear at the same time. MTd would like you to always replace both at once. Know that your brake fully releases as well. If not, you could try walking slower,,,,

• Ben Palmer
    8 years ago

I had this same issue on my MTD lawn mower. I replaced the upper drive belt and it started working like a charm. I made a video while I replaced the belt. You can see it here. There is also a lower drive belt that I will be replacing soon. I will add a video to the same channel after I record it. https://youtu.be/G20J6LrHgM8

• Virginia G
    3 years ago

All these threads I'm looking at always have a lot of "could bes"..... but never is posted any final solutions that fixed the problem.

• ssewalk1
    3 years ago

Unfortunately many op never reply back when the solution is posted , human nature unfortunately , life goes on !

• milo2000
    3 years ago

Is it hydrostatic? If so might need new fluid. Mine did if on flat ground mine takes M1 15W50. But I found Amsoil Hyrdrostatic way better on hills. Doesn't break down as fast. When it becomes very thin like water and dirty it has gotten very hot and is no longer going to work properly,