Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mvron

Honda OHV 160 wont start/pulls slowly

mvron
12 years ago

Can't start this Honda mower. I don't think the engine is seized because I can rope pull or blade turn the engine. The rope pull is very hard. I was wondering about the head gasket. I drained the oil out. I think the previous owner over filled the crankcase. I got more out than I expected.

Dosen't seem to have any compression. It just turns over hard and steady - no compression.

Comments (13)

• tomplum
    12 years ago

Did you both drain the oil from the crankcase and from the cylinder? Did the oil seem like it may also have fuel in it? Is it a GCV160 OHC?

• mvron
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Yes, it is a OHC. Sorry about that. I really didn't smell any fuel when draining the oil - but I didn't really check either. I'll check my old oil can and see what it smells like. I removed the spark plug - acts the same way. I removed the valve cover. Haven't checked the valves yet.

• mvron
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks tomplun. I will do that and report back.

• WavinDave
    12 years ago

I'm thinking tomplum is on the right track. My first thought was that the flywheel brake has failed to release. A little WD40 on the mechanism perhaps or replace the return spring-just thinkin'

• 1saxman
    12 years ago

Sure sounds like the engine brake is dragging.

• mvron
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I turned the mower on end last night and poured some penetrating oil in the spark plug hole. This morning I put the spark plug in the plug hole. It was locked up tight with the penetrating oil in the cylinder. Took the spark plug out and the penetrating oil squired out of the spark plug hole when starting. Then it was back to the way it was. I took the valve cover off - the valves are working OK. I took the rope start/gas tank off to see if there was anything dragging. Couldn�t see anything. Kind of out of ideas - maybe the piston is bad - don�t know.
    ----------------
    Thanks for the ideas. How do I get at the flywheel brake/engine brake?

• mvron
    Original Author
    12 years ago

The model is HRR2166VXA.

• mvron
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Final result: The valve cover was dented to the point that valves wouldn't work. the other problem was that a bearing in the BBC was bad. It was replaced - ran like a champ. Some folks really abuse their lawn equipment - most folks really abuse their lawn equipment.

• tomplum
    12 years ago

Thanks for posting the result!

• tyguyc
    11 years ago

Kind of a noob question but what is the BBC? because i'm thinking of the British Broadcasting Corporation.

• bill_kapaun
    11 years ago

Blade Brake Clutch

• Paul Govensky
    last year

I have no idea if anyone is on this forum any longer talking about the same Honda GCV 160 OHV HHR2166VXA. Where is the flywheel brake at??? Under the flywheel itself? I try to turn the flywheel by hand even with the plug out and it feels like the brake is on, but I just don't see one.