Return to the Lawn Mowers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Piston Slap?

Posted by orangedotfever (My Page) on
Sat, Sep 12, 09 at 10:03

After mowing with my very quiet D series Lawnboy that I just got running, I pulled out my C21 Lawnboy and noticed it has a kind of a rattling knock sound to it. It runs great, has lots of power and the compression is way up there. Everything appears to be tight. Could it be piston slap? I figured the compression would be down if it was piston slap. What is required to fix it if that is that is the problem and what is most likely to happen if I leave it alone and run it for the rest of the season? TIA.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Piston Slap?

Come nearer thinking it is the wrist pin bushing loose. IF so, new rod except I am not sure you can still get that one.

I don't remember if C21 has the same bore as D400 if so, convert to newer D400 piston, the later 2 ring piston, and its' matching rod.

Walt Conner

o

The C21 is an F engine Walt, lots of parts for it. I just noticed it's noise because of how quietly the D runs.

o

"The C21 is an F engine"

I see, you only posted half the model number leading me to think you were talking about a "C" engine.

Walt Conner

o

A loose wristpin is the likely culprit.

o

Sorry Walt, it's a 1991 C21ZPN.

o

It could be piston slap if it has previously partially seized. When you disassemble the engine check the piston skirt to cylinder wall clearance and visually check it for areas that may have seized before.. Also check the wrist pin as mentioned above. Either could be the culprit. If the cylinder wall is deeply gouged it may not be worth fixing.

o

I had one of these given to me once with the same noise. I found that the muffler bolts were loose. I retorqued them and the engine purred like a happy kitten.

o

I once had a V engine that had a weird rattle to it. To light to be a rod knock, or so I thought. I kept listening to it until one day I was mowing and the engine suddenly went silent. The only sound was that of the blade coasting to a stop. I took it apart to survey the damage. Nothing was salvageable. Some of the needles from the rod bearing had somehow managed to remove themselves from the rod cap. Then, one needle went up through the transfer port and wedged between the piston and the block. It would appear that as the flywheel tried to continue the rotation of the crank, the rod cap broke. So I had a scored block and piston, broken rod, and a burned crank journal. I'd look into it before I used it much more.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lawn Mowers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here