Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rickluc

Z425 with Briggs and Stration

rickluc
9 years ago

After my mower sits around for a few days I have the problem of hard starting. I have to remove the air cleaner cover and either shoot either or pour gas down carburater for quiet awhile before it will run on its own gas It's a Brigg and Stration. Thanks

Comments (15)

• tomplum
    9 years ago

It is pretty common on these for the choke cable to slip in the holder at the carburetor. Loosen the clamp and be sure that the choke is adjusted so it closes fully before re securing the clamp.

• rickluc
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I think your on to something. Last night I pulled up on choke cable very hard and it started and ran for a while. I did take the carb off a couple of months ago and checked it for dirt and water. I think I must not of refasten the cable back right or not tight enough. Will check out better this weekend. Thanks

• rickluc
    Original Author
    9 years ago

It turned out to be a choke cable issue. A few months back when I started having trouble I took the carb. off and looked to see what it was made of. Make sure it didn't have any water and/or dirt in it. When I put it back on I should of paid more attention to fastening the chake cable. I pulled up on the choke cable now very hard and it will start. Thanks

• tomplum
    9 years ago

Good deal. Glad to hear it was a simple fix.

• rickluc
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Well I'm back. I guess I never got the problem fixed. The last two times I started it I had to keep spraying starter fluid into the carb. until it picks up gas. The time before last when I started it I had to spray starter fluid in carb. for approximately 2 minutes, before it finally ran on its own. Last night when I tried to start it I sprayed for approximately 3 1/2 minutes and never got it to run on its own. There must be something screwed up in carb.

• tomplum
    9 years ago

More commonly I will run into water in the bowl when they do this. Of course, you will want to k now that the carb solenoid is functioning, that fuel is good and getting to the carb (IE funky gas cap/ pump). The little oring at the bottom of the pick up tube tends to distort, so be sure of a good fit. It is available either with a kit or separately.

• rickluc
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I hear the solenoid click when I turn the key switch on.

• rickluc
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I'm thinking you might be on to something about gas in the bowl. How can I get that out without dropping the carb? And also how do I know if the solenoid is really opening and closing? Thanks

• bluemower
    9 years ago

here are two ideas:
    1. pull the anti after fire solenoid and capture the fuel that drains out. Examine the drained fuel for the presence of water.

2. pull the fuel line to the carburetor and hold over a container while the engine is cranked. See if the fuel pump is delivering fuel.

how old is the fuel in the fuel tank?

• tomplum
    9 years ago

You can either feel the solenoid while powering it up or listen for it to click. The norm is, if you hear or feel it actuate, then it is working. If your bowl is aluminum, the solenoid will screw out. Steel, it has to be pulled. You can remove the bowl w/o removing the carb. It is retained w/ 2 screws which you can use a straight blade or phillips. If you have a good tip,you can sneak them out. A stubby vice grip will grip them too if you can't break them loose.

• rickluc
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Bluemower, what is the anti after fire? And I've pullline off and it is pumping fuel, that is were I seen a little water.
    Tomplum, I can here the solenoid click. So if the bowl is magnetic how do I pull it out and is that a wise thing to do? I would thing that it would be very hard to get to thoughs screws but I will check that out. There's no screw in the very bottom of the bowl? Thanks to both.

• bill_kapaun
    9 years ago

Suggestion-
    Post the MODEL TYPE & CODE of the engine so one can see EXACTLY which Briggs you have.

Go to the Briggs website (at the link) and download the IPL for that EXACT engine.
    Maybe the basic exploded parts views will be useful.
    It will also allow you to use the correct part name when in doubt.

Here is a link that might be useful: Briggs manuals

• tomplum
    9 years ago

If you don't think that you can remove the bowl screws with the carb installed, then you will need to pull the manifold. If you get all the water out of the fuel system up to the carb, you could try some Seafoam to help the water run through. Obviously, it has to run for this to happen. Otherwise, if water is the culprit- off the bowl comes.

• rickluc
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Its a 445577-0122-E1

I'll spend a little more time here now. The other night when I removed the carb. line from the carb. and turned engine over it pumped gas and a little water into a 16.9 oz. plastic water bottle. This is how I determined that maybe water was the problem. That is why I asked the question about updraft carb. being able to draw up water into the center tower. So if there is pure water standing in the bottom of the carb. bowl will the updraft be able to draw it up the tube or just set there and block the center tube?

Another question I would like to ask/ make a statement. I think I've determined that red stabilizer will separate from gas over time. Last night I took a suction tube gun and drawled some water and gas from the very bottom of my gas tank where the pickup tube sets in the gas tank. I drawled out about 3 inches worth in a 16.9 oz. plastic water bottle. The bottom 1/2 inches looked like water, and then the next inch looked like red stabilizer and then the rest looked like gas. I then used another 16.9 oz. water bottle and draw out another 6 inches of fluid and about the bottom 3/4 inch looked like water. So since 2007 I have been adding red stabilizer to my 5 gallon gas can and adding it to my lawnmower and other equipment in the late summer fall. Agree or not?

Thanks

• tomplum
    9 years ago

You're guess is correct that there would be water in the carb with that much in the tank. I say plan on cleaning the entire system. On the additive front, who really knows what stays mixed and what doesn't. Whether you are adding a PEA additive, Startron , Seafoam etc. You saw what you saw because of the tint. With that being said, many of the more recent additives claim to do more than stabilize the fuel like the red STabil does. The newer ones also claim to deal with the side effects of ethanol infused fuel.