Return to the Lawn Mowers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hot Snapper lawnmower

Posted by jimjulian none (My Page) on
Thu, Sep 1, 11 at 10:31

Hi,

A while back I posted a problem with my Snapper/Tecumseh
lawnmower. I got the help I needed. I ordered a OEM float that solved the problem.Thanks.
Now I have found another problem.
After running about ten or fifteen minutes, the mower heats up and begins a gradual loss of power. Eventually, even a small tuft of crab grass will cause the mower to stall. At that point the mower is very hot to the touch, even at the rope housing. If I pull the filter, the carburetor seems to have a wisp of smoke. The mower uses oil. Seems I have too top up the oil tank every other mow.
I wonder if the oil is circulating through the engine and keeping the engine cool.
If that is not the problem, maybe the rings need to be replaced.
Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks,
Jim Julian

2001 Snapper walk-behind
Tecumseh engine
TVS105 53122G

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hot Snapper lawnmower

Pertaining to the running hot. My first guess for your engine would be a partially sheared flywheel key. Before you tear it down, look at the hose that comes from the breather. Any signs of oil coming from that hose or if there is any sign of oil seepage from the top- then replace the breather kit and dipstick seals. That could be part of where your oil is going. Another thing to watch is a headgasket that is starting to fail. It won't directly create much oil loss like an OHV engine's, but will contribute to power loss. It wouldn't be a bad idea to pull the head, decarbonize & replace the gasket anyways.

o

Could be the fan can't get air over the fins. Check the cooling shroud and fins to make sure they are free of leaves, grass, nests, etc.

Having to top up the oil after alternate mowings is a big oil loss. If you were burning that much oil you would have a plume of smoky exhaust. Check the oil level on level ground to be sure it isn't overfilled.

o

These are good suggestions. If they don't work out or you want to play it safe, you could try taking it to a local dealer or shop. They should know the root cause of the problem.

Here is a link that might be useful: Snapper Lawn Mower Dealer Locator

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lawn Mowers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here