Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jtyrie_gw

honda gcv160 vs gcv190

jtyrie
13 years ago

I'm looking at purchasing a new lawn mower. Self propelled, mulcher/rear bagger. I mulch 80% of the time. I want to stick with the Honda engine because it seems to be more reliable than the B&S, from what I've read. It's narrowed down to Honda and Toro mowers at this point. Honda has the GCV190 engine and Toro residential mowers are available with the GCV160 engine. My questions: What is the difference between these two model engines and how will it affect my mowing? Should the availabilty of either of these two model engines affect my decision?

I have a bermuda lawn, about 1/3 acre. My current mower is a 12 year old Honda with dying transmission syndrome. In addition, the engine is developing some issues. The Honda has been nickel and diming me for years and I just don't want to invest any more $$ into it.

Comments (17)

• dpunisher
    13 years ago

5MM bigger bore on the GCV190, and 30cc more displacement, and 1hp. Otherwise exactly the same engine. Honda put the GCV190 on their top end consumer mowers with the dual blade mulching. I wouldn't let it make a difference in mower selection. Now, if you could get a GSV190, that would be a different story........................http://www.toro.com/professional/lce/wpm/comm21/22156.html

• ewalk
    13 years ago

Sax , love the push bar , wears the Siren lol ?

• 1saxman
    13 years ago

Hey, I'm glad it's on there - I really wouldn't want to hit something and crack the cast cam cover. This is the mower that I use the Royal Purple 10W30 motorcycle oil in - $12/qt., but two qts last for several years. Those pictures were before the first use - it doesn't look that good anymore, but is overdue for a good cleanup and service. I'll get around to it sometime this fall. I also have a steel 'Insight' 10684 with Tecumseh that's a heck of a mower, and it needs the same attention.

• ewalk
    13 years ago

Sax: Royal Purple ? You Do Love that Mower lol ! :)

• 1saxman
    13 years ago

Yes, I do! So the yearly oil change with the RP comes to $8. I think ANY mower is worth $8/year.

• ewalk
    13 years ago

I'am the Same with my Equipment also Bro ! Just pulling your Chain You Don't have to Justify Premium Oil to this Choir ! :)

• doorkeeper
    13 years ago

I have Troy-Bilt Rotary 21 inch push mower Model 11A 542Q711
    Honda 5.5 hp GCV 160 engine. I need someone to tell Me about their experiences with the carborator on this mower.
    What changes the gas amount to the engine. Mine has gas dripping out of the carborator(flooding ). The screw in the middle of the carborator after the bowl is removed. Does that adjust the flow of gas to the engine?
    Thanks for any & all HELP!

• jtyrie
    Original Author
    13 years ago

doorkeeper, I think you'd have a better chance at an answer if you start a new thread. This one's pretty played out.

• mn_runner
    13 years ago

I had a HRR216 with GCV 160 engine. It was good but when the grass was wet or got a bit too long, then it was very taxing for the 160CC. So I sold the 10 year old HRR16 and bought the HRX217 with GCV 190 engine. It is a day and night in terms of power and quietness. I was able to cut wet and long grass without any issues. MN spring can be wet and warm so grass can get tall quick so a 160CC is not powerfull enough. They are both good engines but 190CC is a better choice.

• Mitchell Rose
    7 years ago

my newer GCV 160 starts but quickly fails out. Auto choke system ?

• mdstamen
    6 years ago

After looking at this I always recommend the one with the blade brake. Reason is it has a heavier flywheel. The engine runs better and is balanced better. Besides the bore the 190 has the exact carburetor. Instead of a 65 jet the 190 has a 70 jet. And installing a 70 jet on a 160 will cure a lot of hunting. Most people do not realize they can be power tuned and purr like a kitten and run like a tiger.

• ssewalk1
    6 years ago

I think your jetting is set to rich .

• mdstamen
    6 years ago

Not to disagree, but look at http://www4.briggsandstratton.com/miscpdfs/RNT/Carburetion_Troubleshooting_Detail_Reference_Guide.pdf

In #12 it mentions Hunting problems. and Briggs & Stratton even says Hunting is caused by jetting. All the hunting problems I have seen on this site and jets were never mentioned.

When you make a jet richer it will run from slow to fast easier. Remember the old cars used accelerator pumps.

I have been toying with Honda lawn mowers for a long time, and in some cases I have went to a larger jet. And in others I have ripped out the idle stop and adjusted the idle jet.

Remember these engines are California Compliant. And they were made not to be fine tuned.

Also the Honda manual recommends different jets for different altitudes.

And the single price of a jet is more than a new carb.

Anyway, sometimes a little rich is better.

• 1saxman
    6 years ago

Hey, I know its an old thread but just wanted to say I eventually realized that using motorcycle oil in the mower was not a good idea although as far as I can tell it did no harm. Now using Castrol Edge 10W-30 Synthetic in both 4-cycle mowers. The thing about motorcycle oil is does not have friction modifiers because it may be used for a wet clutch. Regular auto oil does have these which inhibit wear and help the engine run cooler. Actually, and I haven't thought of why yet, the mower with Tecumseh engine has always had 30W oil and it always blew just a puff of oil smoke on starting. With the lighter 10W-30 that you would think would be more likely to get past the rings into the combustion chamber while the mower sits, the reverse has been true - it has not blown a puff of oil since I changed to the Syn 10W-30. Whatever, I really like the way the mowers run with the Edge so its now my mower oil.

• mdstamen
    6 years ago

The higher weight oil on the Tecumseh's may have been due to they were flat head engines. The newer OHV especially the horizontal shaft needs to get oil to the upper valves.

Lower weight or a milti viscosity will flow faster . This is not really necessary on the vertical shafts. Most are in the oil bath. A multi is a good all season oil. I prefer 30 weight HD such as Royal Purple. Whatever, you use is fine, But I prefer synthetic oil first.

• talbert240
    3 years ago

I realize this is an old thread, but I have a self-propelled honda mower with a GCV160 engine that's burning oil. Rather than trashing the whole thing. Can I install a GSV190 engine on the mower? From what I can find they both have a 7/8" x 3 5/32" shaft. What should I watch out for?