Return to the Lawn Mowers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Self-propelled lawn mower recommendations

Posted by crazedandconfused NY (My Page) on
Fri, Sep 20, 13 at 10:59

Can anyone recommend a good self-propelled lawn mower? We're just moving into a new home with slightly less than a 1/2 acre yard that gently slopes away from the house.

Honda? Husqvarna? Toro? Any particular brand or model anyone really loves?

Thanks in advance.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Self-propelled lawn mower recommendations

I think how well the owner (and the rest of family) takes care of it might affect which mower to buy. Buy a cheape if folks don't take care of it.

I'd buy a Honda if I had a choice. My Toro runs fine, but I never got that fond of it for some reason. My two Sears Craftsman -- one ran hot, the other arrived defective and it took two returns until they fixed it. Actually three returns. After the second 'repair' I refused to take it until the service shop showed me they could start it -- they could not.

o

I have a Husqvarna that has been working great for 3 years and is very reliable.Honda's are good also but have had issues latley

o

I am very pleased with my Snapper Ninja.

o

Thanks all. It seems like everyone has a different brand, and everyone is happy. Leaning toward Honda but still have a little while before I buy. I'll keep searching for feedback.

Thanks again.

o

• Posted by baymee LehighValleyPA (My Page) on
    Fri, Sep 27, 13 at 14:46

I've repaired thousands of mowers over the years and my absolute favorite is a Snapper. I especially like the thumb operation of the self propel lever when there are obstructions, bushes or trees, on the left of me and I want to walk on the right side of the mower.

o

Wow, great baymee, thanks! Snapper is a brand I've know for years but always associated with rear-engine ride on mowers - never really thought about self-propelled. I'll definitely give them a look.

Thanks!

o

Toro Recycler, 22" rear-drive (Personal Pace), #20376 w/blade/brake clutch and Kohler OHV engine. The Toro drive system is the simplest and longest-lasting there is.

Here is a link that might be useful: Toro 20376

o

Whatever brand you buy, I highly recommend you make sure it is a rear drive, if you mow any sort of hilly terrain. They have much more traction, in my opinion.

o

Lots of great thoughts everyone. Thanks for all the input. Still haven't decided but as its autumn in New England I have some time...

o

I mentioned Honda earlier, but I'm rethinking my answer.

My favorite gas mower is the only one that does not have self-propel!

It is a maybe 30 year old no name (from a local hardware store) it has a B&S 3.75hp engine. This thing is very light, and is a delight to turn; unlike my Sears and Toro self-propel models.

I love to push this thing around. The newer stuff just wants to go in a straight line. Got it two years ago for $22 from a retired gent.

o

I mentioned Honda earlier, but I'm rethinking my answer.

My favorite gas mower is the only one that does not have self-propel!

It is a maybe 30 year old no name (from a local hardware store) it has a B&S 3.75hp engine. This thing is very light, and is a delight to turn; unlike my Sears and Toro self-propel models.

I love to push this thing around. The newer stuff just wants to go in a straight line. Got it two years ago for $22 from a retired gent.

o

• Posted by baymee LehighValleyPA (My Page) on
    Wed, Oct 16, 13 at 5:31

Whoever sold it to you made a good profit. Those mowers sold for $79, 30 years ago.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lawn Mowers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here