Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
flhtcdude

18.5 els500 Briggs & Stratton, oil in gas

flhtcdude
14 years ago

I have a Huskee lawn tractor with a B7s 18.5 hp els500 engine on it. It would start and run for about 10 seconds, blowing smoke and oil out the exhaust, then stop running. Further inspection found a large amount of gasoline in my crankcase. We changed the oil and now it runs good. My question is how in the world would that much gas get into the crankcase? My oil was so thin it was running through into the cylinder and drowning out the spark. Any ideas?

Comments (10)

• walt2002
    14 years ago

Sure, very typical of a leaking carb float needle valve. Happens all time often ending in a ruined engine which is why you always want to check the oil level before starting the engine. Over full and low are both bad.

I suggest you install an in line gas shut off valve and use it whenever the engine is not running.

Walt Conner

• flhtcdude
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you for your quick reply. Engine still seems in good shape, maybe I caught it in time. I had mentioned to my son maybe if we put a petcock on it and used it that it may fix the problem. If I took the carb apart and cleaned it good think it would be fixed or is it a recurring problem?

• walt2002
    14 years ago

"If I took the carb apart and cleaned it good think it would be fixed or is it a recurring problem?"

Yes, maybe and yes. Putting in a new float needle may stop it - - - for a while.

You see, this has happened every since there were small engines but there was a "weep" hole in the bottom of the carb and if the float needle leaked, the gas dripped out, you saw, smelled it and did something about it.

Then, your always watchful and caring EPA decided that wasn't nice and made the mfg. do away with the weep hole so now the gas runs into the cylinder, on into the oil and often ruins the engine.

I guess there is less pollution in making a new engine than a few drops of gasoline.

Walt Conner

• rdaystrom
    14 years ago

I have never seen a ruined engine from gas in the oil. They are brought in because of smoking and gas coming out of the muffler but never any damage done.
    Think about it. If a 2 cycle engine can survive on 32:1 gas oil ratio ten other engines can survive on a 1:1 ratio.
    It is possible to damage one that fills up and gets a hydraulic lock. Maybe that's what Walt was talking about.

• walt2002
    14 years ago

"I have never seen a ruined engine from gas in the oil."

Good gosh, where have you been?

Walt Conner

• rdaystrom
    14 years ago

Walt, What type of failures have you seen from gas in the oil? I can see that hydraulic failures may happen like bent rods and blown head gaskets. What I meant to say is that I have not seen lubrication related failures.

• walt2002
    14 years ago

I have seen dozens of them on both the later flatheads but more predominate with the OHV engines. They throw rods when apparently full, generally over full, oil and gas. Got 2 31 series in boxes in the shop from that right now.

Now I don't what to get in another "discussion" with you but that analogy of 2 cycle oil/gas and mater of operation with needle bearings through out and pulling gas/oil mix thru the crankcase, comparing that to the entirely different operation of 4 cycle and mostly plain bearings??

Walt Conner

• rlkaess_frontiernet_net
    12 years ago

I have a 18.5 els 500 briggs & stratton. It uses a lot of oil. smoke blows out the exhaust and it will quit after about 45 minutes. let it cool and it starts again. Still smokes and when you go to shut it off it will backfire if you don't let it cool off for a couple of minutes. It will use about a half a quart of oil for every hour of use.

• walt2002
    12 years ago

You do realize that you are posting on an 18 month old thread? Anyway, I may have info that will help you, most likely head gasket, address below, put in proper format and remind me plus I am having a bunch in Internect Connetivity problems so don't think I am ignorming you.

Walt Conner
    wconner5 at frontier dot com

• jfallon_nh-hydraulics_com
    12 years ago

I NOTICED THAT I HAVE GAS COMMING OUT MUFFLER AND WONT START, SHOULD I START BY TAKEN OFF CARBURATOR BOWL??????