Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
thorny_gw

how to rebuild a carb on Craftsman 917

thorny
17 years ago

I've inherited a Sears Craftsman lawnmower that starts with difficulty, runs for a few minutes and then dies. It ran well last year but now it won't stay running more than two minutes. I believe it's a carburator problem.

Body model no. = 917 377190

engine model no. = 143.006700 YTPXS 1951BA

It starts okay if I remove the air filter and spray Engine Start in the carb. After a minute or two it dies as if it were being choked of air of fuel.

I've removed the bottom bolt under the carb bowl and sprayed everything with carb cleaner and made sure the little holes in the brass bolt are clean. It makes no difference.

So I've bought a carb rebuild kit ($20). But now that I look at it, the kit has twenty parts: little screws, gaskets and O-rings. It would be nice if there were a page of instructions or a diagram showing me what goes where. I haven't been able to find one with google. Can any of the experts on board point me to a link of instructions or a carb diagram?

Thank you for your time

Comments (9)

• baymee
    17 years ago

Does it run for 2 minutes with or without the air cleaner?

If it runs more than 2 minutes without the air cleaner, then replace the filter. If it runs 2 minutes with the filter installed, then crack open the gas cap and see if it runs longer. If so, clean the vent hole in the gas cap.

Usually carb problems don't allow an engine to run for two minutes and then die. That's about how long it takes to empty the fuel line from the tank to the carb.

• thorny
    Original Author
    17 years ago

There is no hole in the gas cap. It's clean, no dirt to obscure a hole. On the underside of the cap is a small aluminum piece, shaped like a cymbal, attached to a rubber bellows thing inside the gas cap.

I've tested it just now and if I remove both the air filter and the gas cap it won't start at all, even with Engine Start sprayed in the air intake of the carb. It doesn't matter if the primer bulb is pushed three times or ten, it won't start.

So I put on the gas cap and sprayed ether/engine start inside the air filter and replaced the air filter on the carb. It started on second pull and runs. I timed it at ninety seconds. I did this a second time and removed the gas cap after it was running and it still died at about ninety seconds.

It won't start again unless I spray engine start into the carb air filter. Maybe the Engine Start fumes are the only thing that makes it run.

But I can see gasoline dripping from the carb bowl where I replaced the bowl this morning. The gasket was damaged when I removed the brass nut/jets this morning. That's part of why I bought the carb kit.

• rustyj14
    17 years ago

I do believe you should take it to a repair shop to get it fixed correctly. any more messing with it will surely result in less running than you have now!
    RJ

• andyma_gw
    17 years ago

sounds to me like either gas isnt getting into the carb because the fuel filter/gasline is clogged or the needle valve /float isnt working.

I would make sure gas is getting to the cab, and that the gas is fresh. If the problem persists, clamp the line shut and remove the carb to more properly clean it out.

• thorny
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I've got it running now though I'm not sure what fixed it. Thank you to everyone who replied. This is just FYI in case someone else runs into a similar problem.

Saturday morning I :
    - removed muffler, intake manifold and carb
    - partially dismantled the carb
    - took off the bowl
    - made sure the float is hollow (not filled with gas)
    - made sure the needle moved by the float is in its chamber
    - made sure the jets in the brass nut are spotlessly clean
    - made sure the gas line from the bottom of the gas tank is clear
    - made sure the hose from inside the air filter to the top of the gas tank is clear
    - sprayed a lot of carb cleaner
    - put it back together
    - and it still would run for about a minute before it choked to a stop.

Sunday morning I went to Home dePot and looked at new mowers: Lawnboys, Toros and a Honda. But both the Lawnboys and Toros have a Tecumseh engine with an intake manifold-carburator-air filter that looks identical to the one on my old Crafstman.

Sunday afternoon I gave it one last try. Did everything on the above list a second time. It started okay and it ran for the two hours needed to mow the yard.

Didn't use the carb rebuild kit so I returned it and got my $20 back. I'm reluctant to try and rebuild a carb without instructions or a diagram.

I don't know what caused the problem or what fixed it. But it was fortunate I had the time to take stuff apart and put it together again. I suppose the answer is just keep trying.

• longhorn7777777_gmail_com
    12 years ago

Have craftsman 917 rider with fuel problems, have tried all I know. New fuel line and filter, rebuilt carb., changed gas, cleaned everything and still wont pull gas to carb. I believe it is something to do with the fuel pump, but not sure how it works. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

• ManiakMan
    12 years ago

Just ran across this post.
    Sears has excellent diagrams available on their parts site:
    http://www.searspartsdirect.com
    Your carb seems to be the same as mine:

Be sure to view the diagram in full size before clicking Print....

Here is a link that might be useful: Link to carb diagram

• cordelld16
    9 years ago

Great video about cleaning and rebuilding the carb on a craftsman 5.5 no. It helped me out.

Here is a link that might be useful: carb video

• User
    7 years ago

After complete rebuild and taking apart 5 times to check and re-check I discovered something that finally worked.

DON'T OVER-TIGHTEN THE FLOAT BOWL. (Brass Nut holding float cover on)

I backed off the tightness until the bowl leaked a wee bit then only tightened until the leak stopped. Amazing such a small pressure difference on the nut can cut off the flow of gas to the system.