Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
john72ss

1987 honda mower

john72ss
10 years ago

i cant get the blade to stop when it should? the cable is loose and wont release the blade, and now it wont start with the blade engaged? help!

Comments (9)

• Md.Stamen
    10 years ago

Please give me the model number? Hrb/ Hrx etc.

• john72ss
    Original Author
    10 years ago

its hr21

• Greg Goyeneche
    10 years ago

The HR21 was made from 1978 to about 1982 or 1983. It was powered by a GV150 flat head (side valve) engine. Model was replaced by the HR214 with the more modern GXV120 OHV engine in 1982.

The Rotostop assembly is adjusted by the control cable, much like the brakes on a bicycle. If you can't adjusted it to operate properly, next step is to remove the BBC (Rotostop) and disassemble to troubleshoot. At that point, it may be more trouble and expense than warranted for a 30+ year old machine. Although some of the parts are common with the HR214, many are unique to the HR21 and HR21-5 and are NLA.

Suggest you start with adjusting the BBC cable. If you don't have the Operator's Manual, I can send you a PDF if you contact me through Garden Web's email service (My Page).

• 1saxman
    10 years ago

Whatever, congratulations on having a mower that old that's still in use. I've heard many times how the early Hondas were tough/high-quality, but that's amazing.

• john72ss
    Original Author
    10 years ago

this old girl had treated me right since june of 87, i will do what it takes to keep her! the cable at the push handle has about an inch of slack in it, its still attached and it wont pull all the way out, so i dont think its broken, yet the clutch or whatever it uses to engage the blade is stuck, i have tryed using wd 40 and tapping on the center of the blade, hopping it might free up but no such luck, i have the factory owners manual but its not much help, ho hard is it to replace the clutch? thanks!

• itzbinnice
    10 years ago

As the saying goes, they don't make them like they used to.

Now I ask you how many of the mowers built in 2013 will be around in 2039. I suspect NONE.

• john72ss
    Original Author
    10 years ago

this mower starts on the first or second pull every spring!

• bill_kapaun
    10 years ago

As ggoyeneche stated, the HR 21 is older than 87.
    Sure it's not a 214?

Check the link below. Some models have an exploded view of the BBC.

Can you get under it and try manually moving the lever back?

Here is a link that might be useful: Link below

• john72ss
    Original Author
    10 years ago

i bought it at a honda dealer in may of 1987, the small owners manual says hr 21 its got the rear wheel drive and a 21 inch blade, looking underneath i see where the cable goes in and has a one ince piece of cable showing,