Return to the Lawn Mowers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Riding mower deck shifted to the right

Posted by NewAtMowerRepair none (My Page) on
Sat, Sep 28, 13 at 12:08

Hello, all.

I have an Ariens 42 in 17.5 HP 6-speed Riding Lawn Mower Model # 960160027 .

I ran the left side of the deck (the side without the chute) up against a small tree stump. As I was going full-speed, it hit hard, and it pushed the entire deck to the right (the side with the chute). Now, I can't raise the deck to the highest level (level 6) because the right side is hitting the frame of the mower.

I assume something is bent. Do you have any suggestions how to figure out what is bent? I'm hoping I can just bend it back and solve my problem.

Thank you!
Steven.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Riding mower deck shifted to the right

Wwhat i usually do is lay down on the left side, and using a flash-light, or an extension lamp, peer in under the machine, and look for places, mounting brackets, etc., that have the paint cracked and flaking off. You may see bright, shiny, steel, and that is where it is bent, underneath. I'd say the mounting brackets are bent.
If you are mechanically savvy, you can remove the deck, then bend the brackets back to their original shape, and reattach them to the deck. If that is "Over yer head", then contact a local repair shop and pay them to repair your folly! As you have probably realised by now, nothing is easy, and nothing fixes itself!

o
RE: Riding mower deck shifted to the right

Thank you, Rusty!

That's great advice. I'll look for cracked and chipping paint. I'm mechanically savvy enough to dive into it with a set of wrenches and see what happens. That doesn't always work out for the best, but it's how I do things! I figure I can take it apart and try my best, and if I can't get it back together, I can always pay somebody to reassemble it for me.

The real lesson I've learned from this is that it's a lot cheaper and easier to dig up a tree stump than it is to repair a broken mower. I dug up the stump this morning. Should have done that years ago!

Thanks again.
Steven.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lawn Mowers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here