Return to the Lawn Mowers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Service on older LawnBoy

Posted by glenforest SW PA (My Page) on
Mon, Sep 13, 10 at 12:23

Hi, I have a problem with an older LawnBoy, and it will be a few days until I can take it anywhere for service, so I thought I would ask for some objective advice here first.

It's a LawnBoy model 4600, a 20-inch, aluminum-deck, dedicated rear bagger that I bought in 1984 new.

My yard is on a slope (front is 30 degrees; back is 20). I cut across the slope. And the mower is making a lot of smoke and running at a noticeable reduction in rpm while on the slope. It actually smokes more when the air filter is on the uphill side than on the reverse pass where it's on the downhill side.

On flat surfaces like the garage or patio, it runs fine--no smoking or rpm problems.

More background: This summer I started using Echo two-cycle oil because it was easier to measure out smaller quantities and mix one gallon of gas at a time (I have a very small yard). First gallon of gas-oil mix (plus Stabil) was fine. About four or five weeks later, I mixed a second gallon, and this was when the smoking started. I got fresh gas and went back to LawnBoy oil, but this didn't make a difference.

I also changed the spark plug, but this hasn't made a difference either.

I like this mower because it's lightweight compared to new models, but I also don't want to invest too much in keeping it going.

Thanks for any thoughts you might have.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Service on older LawnBoy

When was the last time you cleaned the exhaust ports?

Other possibilities, is float level too high (float should be parallel with the carb body casting when carb is turned upside down.

On the left side of carb, perhaps in a well, there is an adjusting screw, might try turning it in 1/8 - 1/4 turn.

Walt Conner

o
RE: Service on older LawnBoy

Flooding on a slope - overhaul carb.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lawn Mowers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here