Return to the Lawn Mowers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Eager 1 Craftsman Lawnmower

Posted by christopher_wi WI (My Page) on
Tue, Sep 5, 06 at 13:39

I am currently using an Eager-1 Craftsman Lawnmower. The model # is 917.388151 and the serial # is 061997M 024690. I was about 1 hour into cutting my grass, when the lawnmower just stopped running. It was similar to running out of gas. The strange thing is there was gas and oil in the machine. I tried to start it back up and nothing happened. I primed it 10 times and the mower started for about 6 seconds and then stopped the same way as it did earlier. It is basically in the same state now as it was then. I changed the spark plug but it is still doing the same thing. Could there be a problem with gasoline getting to the engine, or possibly the carburetor? The air filter looks ok, I cleaned it off and nothing changed. The mower has run perfectly until now. Any advice on how I can approach this problem would be greatly appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Eager 1 Craftsman Lawnmower

• Posted by baymee LehighValleyPA (My Page) on
    Tue, Sep 5, 06 at 16:12

Perhaps the gas cap vent is blocked. Maybe water in the gas tank? Is the fuel filter blocked?

o

Chris,

As Baymee suggests....the fuel tank vents thru the
threads of the fuel cap. If the "guts" of the cap are
somehow removed, the neck of the cap with bottom-out
on the face of the fuel tank, and as such, CANNOT VENT
the tank because the threads are sealed off from the
air. You might look at this. Otherwise, you need to
confirm what's happening to the mower when this begins.
That it WOULD RESTART suggests a potential fuel supply
issue. The tank cap would be first and simplest thing to
check out. Then...carburetor, fuel line, filter inside
tank where fuel outlet comes out into fuel line ?? I'm
sure this is something VERY SIMPLE when all is said and
done.

T-Man

o

I also have a 6.75 hp. craftsman mower. The mower acts like it isn't getting any fuel. I have loosened the fuel cap and it won't start. It will start briefly if I put a shot of starter fluid in the carb. I have disconnected the fuel line (at the gas tank) and pushed air through the carb with a bicycle pump. I saw fuel spray out the air intake port (air filter).

So, before I spend anymore time guessing at what I should do next, what do you think I should do now?

Thanks,
Darren

o

Remove the air filter, and clean the gunk off the underside!
I got 2 used mowers from the same guy who said they were junk! He never unscrewed the bolt that holds the filter on, and it was terribly jammed up with oil, grass, dirt, etc. Both mowers ran good after that bit of work!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lawn Mowers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here