Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
christopher_wi

Eager 1 Craftsman Lawnmower

christopher_wi
17 years ago

I am currently using an Eager-1 Craftsman Lawnmower. The model # is 917.388151 and the serial # is 061997M 024690. I was about 1 hour into cutting my grass, when the lawnmower just stopped running. It was similar to running out of gas. The strange thing is there was gas and oil in the machine. I tried to start it back up and nothing happened. I primed it 10 times and the mower started for about 6 seconds and then stopped the same way as it did earlier. It is basically in the same state now as it was then. I changed the spark plug but it is still doing the same thing. Could there be a problem with gasoline getting to the engine, or possibly the carburetor? The air filter looks ok, I cleaned it off and nothing changed. The mower has run perfectly until now. Any advice on how I can approach this problem would be greatly appreciated.

Comments (14)

• baymee
    17 years ago

Perhaps the gas cap vent is blocked. Maybe water in the gas tank? Is the fuel filter blocked?

• tekumcman
    17 years ago

Chris,

As Baymee suggests....the fuel tank vents thru the
    threads of the fuel cap. If the "guts" of the cap are
    somehow removed, the neck of the cap with bottom-out
    on the face of the fuel tank, and as such, CANNOT VENT
    the tank because the threads are sealed off from the
    air. You might look at this. Otherwise, you need to
    confirm what's happening to the mower when this begins.
    That it WOULD RESTART suggests a potential fuel supply
    issue. The tank cap would be first and simplest thing to
    check out. Then...carburetor, fuel line, filter inside
    tank where fuel outlet comes out into fuel line ?? I'm
    sure this is something VERY SIMPLE when all is said and
    done.

T-Man

• darren_wtconstruction_net
    17 years ago

I also have a 6.75 hp. craftsman mower. The mower acts like it isn't getting any fuel. I have loosened the fuel cap and it won't start. It will start briefly if I put a shot of starter fluid in the carb. I have disconnected the fuel line (at the gas tank) and pushed air through the carb with a bicycle pump. I saw fuel spray out the air intake port (air filter).

So, before I spend anymore time guessing at what I should do next, what do you think I should do now?

Thanks,
    Darren

• rustyj14
    17 years ago

Remove the air filter, and clean the gunk off the underside!
    I got 2 used mowers from the same guy who said they were junk! He never unscrewed the bolt that holds the filter on, and it was terribly jammed up with oil, grass, dirt, etc. Both mowers ran good after that bit of work!

• Robert Dwyer
    6 years ago

More then likely the carbeurator those bowl designs are tricky your float may be stuck take it off and see if the pins bent also if your pumping it with a bike pump you may have a bulb issue those tecumseh bowl carbs are notorious replacing one will cost you 10 bucks with no headache

• ssewalk1
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Most likely stuck inlet needle valve on this vintage ,a tap on the float bowl sometimes dislodged it or debris. Most often a quick plug check and float cleaning sufficed . Since this thread is over 11 yrs old the mower and operator have moved on lol.

• Robert Dwyer
    6 years ago

True I found one of these in the trash replaced the carb all set

• Robert Dwyer
    6 years ago

Not a very practical mower it's got front will drive on the column lol

• Robert Dwyer
    6 years ago

What do mean their dead

• Robert Dwyer
    6 years ago

What do you man their dead lol