Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chakku_gw

Recommendations for mower to large plot of land, rough terrain

chakku
14 years ago

Hello

We have about ten acres of land on our property that needs to be mowed regularly. In addition to this, it is rough terrain. We have broken many lawn mowers, and the little Toro garden tractor we have now just does not seem up to the job at all. It can't get through more than an acre without failing in some way, be it bending a blade, the belt coming off etc... The gas and break have even seized together before, making the mower move constantly forward as long as the engine was running, which was pretty dangerous. When we first got it we couldn't get through more than a quarter of an acre without bending blade, and we went through many sets before we bought a really expensive (but less expensive than constantly replacing blades at $30/set) heavy-duty blade and that didn't happen anymore.

It's on it's last legs now, so I was wondering what we could get in the way of a replacement which might be more suitable for our land. It's definitely going to be hitting small rocks and stumps, and it would be nice if it could hit some obstruction and come to a complete stop without any harm done to it. At the same time though, a bush hog won't work as it doesn't have the ability to sculpt the land in the way that's demanded, and leaves the grass looking, and I quote, "raggedy".

Am I asking for something impossible? It's pretty disheartening when you don't have the right tool for the job, you know?

Comments (8)