Return to the Lawn Mowers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Recommendations for mower to large plot of land, rough terrain

Posted by chakku TN (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 13, 09 at 13:44

Hello

We have about ten acres of land on our property that needs to be mowed regularly. In addition to this, it is rough terrain. We have broken many lawn mowers, and the little Toro garden tractor we have now just does not seem up to the job at all. It can't get through more than an acre without failing in some way, be it bending a blade, the belt coming off etc... The gas and break have even seized together before, making the mower move constantly forward as long as the engine was running, which was pretty dangerous. When we first got it we couldn't get through more than a quarter of an acre without bending blade, and we went through many sets before we bought a really expensive (but less expensive than constantly replacing blades at $30/set) heavy-duty blade and that didn't happen anymore.

It's on it's last legs now, so I was wondering what we could get in the way of a replacement which might be more suitable for our land. It's definitely going to be hitting small rocks and stumps, and it would be nice if it could hit some obstruction and come to a complete stop without any harm done to it. At the same time though, a bush hog won't work as it doesn't have the ability to sculpt the land in the way that's demanded, and leaves the grass looking, and I quote, "raggedy".

Am I asking for something impossible? It's pretty disheartening when you don't have the right tool for the job, you know?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Recommendations for mower to large plot of land, rough terrai

I feel your pain. Been thee and done that with inadequate equipment. It gets better.
The Bad-Boy AOS series with a 72" deck, 35hp Briggs and Stratton, and a chassis built stronger than anything else on the market period. The Bad-Boy has great features like swing away fuel tanks for easy service access. It also has a suspension system to absorb jolts from that uneven terrain you encounter. There are 15 dealers in TN so you should have access to them. They are built in Batesville, Arkansas. Check out the link below link for info. They have a great website. My brother owns a Bad-Boy that is several years old.. They are built tougher than army tanks and do everything advertised.

Here is a link that might be useful: Bad-Boy AOS series. 72

o

I agree 'Bad Boy' is awsome but run it into stumps and rocks continuously and I cannot imagine it will last. Check this video, I cannot imagine your situation is as bad as this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vl7O0GuCLZE&feature=related

o

Heres a mower for you to check out.It puts the Bad Boy to shame and takes extreme lawn comditions way beyond the next level.Not sure if they ship to the usa but these mowers are ideal for crappy terrain.

http://www.rideonmowers.net.au/

o

skane1, Your funny. The Bad-Boy I'm speaking about could mulch that mower and leave nothing but iron filings and plastic dust.
zoulas, Stumps and rocks might take out a blade but you won't hurt that deck or chassis. It's built tougher and thicker than most bush hog decks. About the guy in the video. I cut stuff heavier than that all the time with my brother's Bad-Boy or my Kubota diesel. Why don't you guys use the link option so we can click on your links?

o

If you got terrain problems and an unlimited budget check out these ozzy mowers

Here is a link that might be useful: Ride On Mowers

o

Last time I checked he is from TN. skane1, TN means Tennessee....that's in the USA. Besides I doubt the CPSC would allow importation of those mowers.

o

What you need is a 20 or more hp tractor
and a 5 ft brush hog. The tractor will run $3-$5 K
Here is my $3K Jinma.
Brush hog will run under $1K
Photobucket
My tractor was $3K new
I think after using it for 5 years I would recommend
a 4x4 (extra $1K).

With power steering and 3 point hitch My wife is
fully confident in cutting the fields herself.

If you get the fields down to being well groomed you
can always go for a finish mower
Photobucket

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lawn Mowers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here