Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jeanwedding

anybody know what kind of mower this is

Its orange painted cast aluminum body...with self propelled

Of course it has an OLd Cant get to run Tecuhmes engine. Its an Lav35 series... So I assume it is a 3.5 engine....

friend gave it to us. Its been in his toolshed for over 10 years...

It looks good though

Hubby took off carberator and used Gum out or whatever....

The foam filter looks good

It has that terrible nylon geared pull starter...Which I am prob not going to be strong enough to pull

Hubby sprayed starter fluid it will start that way but then dies....

HE is upset. He spent two days on it... and we have more important fishes to fry... That is a long tale there...

Comments (31)

• bill_kapaun
    11 years ago

Likely, there is a "Brass Nut" holding the carb bowl on.
    THAT is the Main Jet.
    There are TINY holeS in it that need to be cleaned out.
    Very easy to miss one, because it might just look like a black speck.

Use a fine wire, like in a wire tie from a loaf of bread to clean out.

• tomplum
    11 years ago

"anybody know what kind of mower this is" appears to be made by the "caution" lawnmower company... Maybe a pic of the whole unit might unravel the mystery. looks to be a nicely designed deck as far as dispersing clippings.

• Brandon Smith
    11 years ago

Personally, anything with a Tecumseh engine is best left alone and not worth the energy.

But since your are an awesome wife and posted this thread (my wife would be more apt to post a thread titled "how to keep husband out of the garage!!??!!") here's what I'd do.

Check the carb as was posted above, if he's been on it two days I'm sure he had to atleast mess with it. I like to soak all the metal parts of a nasty carb in carb cleaner (gum out) for an hour or more, agitating it every 15-20m. After that I'd check to see if theres even spark getting to the plug at the proper time/it sparks every revolution in a consistent manner. If he has a compression gauge, check it maybe too low. There's a hundred things it could be so report back!

• KubotaMaster
    11 years ago

Looks like it may be an old Scott's push mower. And As far as I can find John Deere built Scott's machines from 1995 to 2002 only. The included link will take you to the JD site that talks about these machines... Also I read that they bought the plant that was making Murray machines so they could build riding mowers for the box stores (home depot, Lowes, etc.) at the price point that was required by those stores, a price and quality less than their regular equipment. These machines are not generally appreciated in the same way that John Deere's usual machines are. Could also possibly be huscvarna but unlikely.

Here is a link that might be useful: John Deere service page

• jeanwedding. zone 6
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Okay I dont know how to upload more than one pic it seemed not to let me when tried before and wont let me now
    Thanks
    Jean

• lbpod
    11 years ago

Does your neighbor know where he got it?
    Since you know it's a Tec-oomph-sa engine,
    then you should be able to find some 'numbers'
    on it, (model number, serial number....).
    Those numbers are on there 'somewhere'.
    You may have to scratch off some paint,
    or rub off some accumulated grit, but they
    are there. Those numbers are invaluable
    in finding parts, and service manuals, etc.
    But, like Bill K. says, check out that brass
    nut on the bottom of the fuel bowl.
    Being as it's at least 10 years old, I don't
    think it's Chinese.
    The color of the paint suggests Husqvarna,
    but there were many manufacturers that made
    products for Sears, and many major 'chain'
    hardware stores, (Ace, True Value, etc.).
    Also, it doesn't sound as if this is your only
    mower. I'm guessin that your hubby is working
    on it as a sort of 'I know I can fix it' sort of project.
    HEY, all of us guys have a few of those.
    Let him fiddle with it, and it may keep him out
    of your kitchen.

• jeanwedding. zone 6
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Oh also it has a LAV 35 series motor on it... Unless the guy who gave it to us..... put a different motor on it.. The motor is quite old according to other sources
    How can we go in and edit our just post messages to add another sentence after "submit" ???
    Thanks

• javert
    11 years ago

Jacobsen?

• tomplum
    11 years ago

It is Jacobsen like in certain ways IE aluminum deck w/ that progressive tunnel on the top. Drive is different maybe? Engine looks to be the same color in the pic. That center handle support looks familiar. Was it the old Sunbeam? Something General Power put together? Mid late 70's is my guess. Cool little mower. How about a good pic of the blade and blade hub?

• tooltime79
    11 years ago

Looks like an old Jacobsen to me. We sold them in the hardware store I worked in in high school in the late 70's.

A lot of the old Jacobsens came with 2 cycle engines back then but that one is obviously a 4 cycle.

You'll have to take the carb apart I'm sure, it's not getting enough gas through to run.

• KubotaMaster
    11 years ago

I agree its a Jacobsen. I remit wat i stated earlier now that i can see the whole picture.

• jeanwedding. zone 6
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I JUST talked to neighbor via phone.. He said he thinks its an INTERNATIONAL HARVERSTER" or John Deere... and he took off the electric starter...
    Wow which he still has he says....He changed out the starter to a sideways pull starter
    also he put on a different cowling as he recalls. so its a mongrel or hybrid right ?

Thanks
    Jean

• tomplum
    11 years ago

Pre emission Tecs weren't bad engines. I had an old Whirlwind with a similar engine. In close to 20 years, the carb was not ever apart. The only IH wpms I remember were Lawnboy decks and were yellow. They certainly could have made other efforts tho.Blade pics may really help!

• javert
    11 years ago

The reason I originally suggested Jacobsen, is because my Dad had one back in the 60's, and it seems to me that the words "Traction Drive" were molded into the deck. I'm not sure about that, but I will say that Dad's mower was a darn good machine. Ah, for the days when things with American names on 'em were the best. Remember when names like Black and Decker and Stanley ... and many, many others were good ol' American-made tools? Personally, I think it's misleading and underhanded to transfer those old names to Chinese-made stuff. Okay, my wife's looking over my shoulder and just told me "No use getting on your soapbox," so I'll not go into my usual rampage. The news is on, and this old Marine, says "Kick some Libyan ass, and don't take names!"

• snuffyinatl
    11 years ago

That old mower would look good in my collection :) I always liked the old Tecumseh's, especially the ones with adjustable timing...I could make them run like a sewing machine.

• KubotaMaster
    11 years ago

I figured it was a John Deere product when i first seen it but Jacobson still makes (or made for that matter) a mower that looks just like it.

• jeanwedding. zone 6
    Original Author
    11 years ago

heres pics of Hub Hubby still working on it. He cleaned the carb again and adjusted float. \
    I hope we can get all the old ELECTRIC start parts from our friend. Cause I am not string enough to keep pulling that rope starter....LOL
    Wish Hubby luck I hear him trying to get it to start now he sprayed starter fluid in air cleaner holder... I hate to see him waste time on it if it wont run....
    Cause we have too many other fish to fry.
    I would upload the closer pic, IF YALL would tell me how to upload more than one picture,please
    Thanks
    jean

• tomplum
    11 years ago

Hmmm. Is the blade actually sharpened on the bottom side?

• javert
    11 years ago

You're right, Tom. That one sure is! (Okay, I've installed a blade like that once or twice myself.)

• tomplum
    11 years ago

It looks as though that the blade is installed correctly, but very few are sharpened on the bottom. Plus, the self propel. No belt, is that a small driveshaft off the camshaft? The plot thickens....

• jeanwedding. zone 6
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Yes Hubby said it is a small driveshaft....
    UPDATE......Hubbvy tried like heck to get it to run so after several days Local small engine repair got it running good for only $30 If known that he would not have wasted so much precious time.....
    They said was the linkage and recleaned carberator... so that like 4 time its been cleaned.... and adjusted the rpms....
    I asked Hubby why he did not ask them to sharpen blade while they had it for only a day.... Duh ...cause his grinder is not here at this house.... ah well nobody is perfect esp Me.... LOL
    Now hope old place neighbor can find the self propelled parts....
    cause in this little town. there is a guy who rebuild or finds starters... works out of his garage... nice guy.
    will try to post about forth coming parts... I have not tried to start yet... I am not as strong as used to be... Its heck getting old...
    thats why I need an electic start on this old Orange mower... the hybrid
    Thanks
    jean

• chuckinmn
    11 years ago

In the mid 70's we had a silver craftsman mower with the red "Dual Power" engine. Dual power refered to a selector above the carb that allowed hi or lo. The body looked nothing like your picture. I ruined that engine by hitting the pipe for the water shut off. My dad put the mower in the shed and it sat for about 20 years. Ten years ago I took it out of the shed, put an even older Briggs 3hp on it, found some ten inch wheels and made a poor man's rough cut mower to maintain trails at the deer shack. I suspect you have a cobbled mower as well. Mine lasted three years under severe conditions. Yours looks much better. Good luck

• javert
    11 years ago

I've changed my mind ... I don't think it's a Jacobsen after all. My brother has an old picture, and our's didn't say "traction drive" after all. It just said "Jacobsen." But this has been a fun thread!

• tooltime79
    11 years ago

Wow, I have a hard time believing it's a John Deere or IH. IH would have painted it red, John Deere Green of course. I wonder if it could be a Simplicity or maybe even an Allis Chalmers? If he is thinking it was manufactured by a tractor company maybe he isn't remembering the right one?

• KubotaMaster
    11 years ago

I still maintain the statement that its either a John Deere or Jacobson mower one of my neighbors has a Jacobson that looks just like it.

• oldlawnmowerman81
    9 years ago

The mower deck is a Sunbeam GL-series model, while the engine shroud was from a Sears Craftsman Eager-1 engine.

I hope that answers the original poster's questions about this mower.

~Ben

• skane1
    9 years ago

I have seen alot of John Deere mowers in my day and it does not look at all like that one.I thinks it's either a Homelite/Jacobson or an old sears roebuck mower.

• 1saxman
    9 years ago

Another Jacobsen attribute is the plenum ring in the deck with indentations in the blade to clear it. Obviously anyone could make a mower that way. Just adding a datum. The improperly-sharpened blade is probably the result of using a grinder of some kind without removing the blade. Here's a Homelite-Jacobsen (1989) with that arrangement.

• hippy
    9 years ago

Looks close to but not quite like a Montgomery Ward.

• oldlawnmowerman81
    9 years ago

jeanwedding's mower is, I dare to repeat, a Sunbeam GL series whose engine has a replacement shroud from a Craftsman Eager-1 engine.

While Sunbeam in the realm of outdoor power equipment is best known for their line of electric lawn mowers, they also made gas mowers. This is one of them.

Therefore, the answer is solved.

~Ben (oldlawnmowerman81)