Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mvron

end of season suggestions

mvron
10 years ago

97% of mower problems is probally related to the carb. With the advent of ethanol, it's even more important to take care of your mower - otherwise you will be posting new messages on this forum next year. Yes, some probably use Stabil and will use that. My suggestion is to run the mower dry until it quits. Remove the float bowl nut(s) and drain whats left. Remove the plug(s) and squirt a little oil in the cyl - pul the starter a little to spread the oil. Replace the plug(s). Ethanol is causing and will continue to cause all kinds of problems. Wait till the 15% stuff comes out. Change the oil(after the engine is warmed up) and sharpen/replace the blade. Good luck

Comments (6)

• slls
    10 years ago

I run dry, change oil, nothing else. Leave mulching cleans the deck, oak is like knifes. Been doing this for 50 years.

• rdaystrom
    10 years ago

Running dry and removing the bowl for the last few drops is the best way. I would also drain the tank or fill it to the top. Keep your mower inside a garage or other covered storage area away from humidity, insects (esp dirt dobbers), and rodents.

• baymee
    10 years ago

I've always run it dry, but I don't drain the bowl. On the tractors with the fuel pump, I have been leaving the gas in, with treatment.

• ewalk
    10 years ago

Either run unit dry or refill fully with fresh fuel with conditioner (Star*tron or Stabil) . Clean the engine and deck interior and exterior to prevent rusting and lubricate all joints and cables , store out of the elements as best you can .

• itzbinnice
    10 years ago

I run it dry, but Idon't remove the carb bowl. I also drain the fuel tank. Clean or replace if necessary the air cleaner & spark plug. Sharpen the blade so it's ready in spring.

Next I squirt a few drop of oil in cylinder and pull rope several times to lube cylinder walls and rings.

I hand tighten the plug and then pull the rope just to the point where I feel strong resistance, this is top dead center. What this does is two fold, First it takes the tension off the valve springs, and second it prevents condensation from entering the cylinder since both valves are closed.

In the spring I remove the hand tightened plug and dry it off, then pull the rope to expel the oil. On startup it smokes a little for a short time then clears up.
    Been doing this for over 35 years and it works for me.

• bill_kapaun
    10 years ago

I use Stabil in the gas for the last few mowings.
    After every mow, I fill the tank to the very brim to reduce the dead air space to ZERO. That way the tank isn't "breathing" moisture laden air in/out with the temperature changes.
    My 24? year old Honda took 2 pulls last Spring.