Return to the Lawn Mowers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
gvc160 engine won't start

Posted by roswellbill none (My Page) on
Mon, Sep 2, 13 at 14:51

I have a pressure washer that is driven by a Honda GVC-160 Engine - I went to start it for the first time in 7 months and it wouldn't go. I drained the gas, put in fresh, still nothing. I checked oil level, OK. I replaced spark plug, nothing. I pulled gas lines - I have fuel flow. I pulled carb and cleaned float and blew ports out with air, nothing. I even pulled gas cap and blew out vents, nothing. I sprayed a little starter fluid in carb and it started until the starter fluid burned out. Now what?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: gvc160 engine won't start

• Posted by baymee LehighValleyPA (My Page) on
    Mon, Sep 2, 13 at 16:43

It didn't used to be a problem with Hondas, but with the ethanol fuel or old fuel, the jets are getting gelled up. Your symptoms indicate a probably clogged jet(s). Here are some pictures to show what I mean.

Website link to this article:

http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/load/lmower
/msg051313339279.html?3

Buying a Honda carb from Honda of Plano, TX is so cheap, it doesn't pay to save a badly damaged carb anymore.

I had not seen varnished Honda carbs until recently. They seem to have escaped this dilemma. Here is what you're looking for.

Most likely, you'll have to remove the carb. Make careful note of the linkage and how it comes off. Remove the bowl nut and in the center of the carb you'll see an opening just under the bowl nut. You'll need a special, thin screwdriver to remove the first jet. It has a slotted head with a center jet. Above that is the long tube with many small holes. Both pieces have to be thoroughly clean. Use carb cleaner to clean the rest of the carb; any orifices. Do not overtighten the jet when you put it back in. Very light torque; it isn't going anywhere. This should solve your problem. This carb worked like a champ when I was done. Good luck.

o
RE: gvc160 engine won't start

If you're going to buy a new Honda carb, my first choice would be the Honda dealer. The carbs are incredibly cheap - no S&H from the Honda Dealer.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lawn Mowers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here