Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
floridawen

Kohler Courage, B&S Intek or Endurance ??

floridawen
14 years ago

I want to buy a new Husqvarna riding mower and in the past I actually had a Husky w/17HP Kawasaki V twin........ sweetest engine I ever had. Sold that Husky when I moved down South. That was five years ago. NOW, I want to stop struggling in this heat and humidity with my 21" JD self-propelled walk behind and buy a NEW HUSQVARNA RIDING MOWER !! Either 46" or 48" deck !! I have narrowed it down to three models........ one comes with the Kohler Courage 20 HP, one with a Briggs Intek V-Twin 23 HP and the most expensive of the three has a Briggs Endurance V-Twin 23 HP. I read ALL kinds of Forum postings and threads and people have negative and positive to say of EACH engine. Some "love" the Kohler, others say it blows head gaskets and throws rods. Some say the B & S Intek is a "piece of junk"...... others say the Endurance is by no means a Vanguard, but is a good engine, better than Kohler.

WHAT DO YOU THINK ???? (THANKS !!)

Comments (9)

• walt2002
    14 years ago

"Briggs Endurance V-Twin 23 HP."

I don't even know what that is. I have a hunch it is just a name change because Intek had a number of problems. A model number might help. Both the other engines are "entry level" quality.

Walt Conner

• floridawen
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I just ordered a brand new Husqvarna 2146XLS with the B & S Vanguard commercial grade V twin engine. Should be here in 7 - 10 days !!

• mowernut
    14 years ago

I know the small Courage(around 5 HP)which is used on some pressure washers and 21" walk behind mowers is Kohler's low end Chinese built engine. I would assume the same would be true for the Courage engine you're looking at as well. Of the 3, I'd probably say get the Endurance. Too bad there are no Honda or Kawi options for you.

• yungman
    14 years ago

I am looking at the Kohler Courage XT-7 which is used in mowers and pressure washers. Is it a commercial engine? I am comparing it with Honda GC190 or GC160 on the durability, what do you think?

• mowernut
    14 years ago

I have had no experience with the Kohler engines. I have seen the Courage on an Ariens mower at Home Depot, and it says on the engine that it is crafted in China for Kohler. I've also seen it on a pressure washer at H.D. Take a look at Kohler's site at
    http://www.kohlerengines.com/home.htm Click on engines on the upper left, and select Courage, where you can view the specs on the XT. They do call it a commercial engine, so it may be a good choice. Honda's GC engines, are also their lower end, or entry level engines. They are still good though. Good luck on your choice & let us know what you go with.

• kersplat
    14 years ago

The Kohler courage XT series engine are excellent heavy Duty engines. They have an Iron cylinder liner, Overhead valves forged crank chaft and a steel cam and camgear. I have the XT6 and it is extremely well made. I had a mower with a B&S intek which was supposed to have an iron liner. That is why I originally bought it. The first time I had the head off boy was I mad when I found out it had an aluminum bore. I will never buy a B&S product again.

• bluemower
    14 years ago

Briggs offers both the aluminum bore and the cast iron sleeve. The equipment manufacturer frequently selects the cheaper product.

I am aware on only one vtwin intek that was aluminum bore. This was in an update a few years ago. MTD asked Briggs to make it cheaper and Briggs was happy to eliminate the cast iron sleeve.

• bluemower
    14 years ago

Your comment
    I just ordered a brand new Husqvarna 2146XLS with the B & S Vanguard commercial grade V twin engine

I have worked lawn tractors with the Vanguards. The engines sound great and perform well even after 10 - 12 years of service.

• zmassive
    13 years ago

I have owned a B&S 20 HP Intek I/C for about 12 years. It started to burn oil at 1 year, started to leak oil about the same time from the valve adjustment cover because they mounted a very large heat shield between the valve cover and the engine obviously because it was cheaper than to make seperate mounts. The vibration keeps the mounting screws comming loose, I had to use a thread locker on sheet metal screws to keep it from comming loose. The air cleaner is designed so it picks up a large amount of grass debris so I have to replace the filter every other mowing. The rods started to knock at about 5 years and the carburator requires a kit every 3 years because the diaphrams cannot hold their shape.

I will never buy another.

P.S. This unit had cast Iron sleeved cylinders.