Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bf_red_40

mower dies when I let off the clutch

bf_red_40
15 years ago

I changed the safety switch under the seat and it still dies when I let off the clutch or engage the blade. It's a Husqvarna LTH130 rider. SSN 022098D001383. ID # 954140005F. Product #954140005. It is in great shape and was running fine until recently. Could it be just a loose wire or something? If davidandkasie or anyone else has another suggestion it would be greatly appreciated.

Comments (14)

• bill_kapaun
    15 years ago

It HAS to be the seat switch.
    The switch is normally closed, shorting the kill wire to ground.
    Sitting on the seat, opens the switch.

You can't simply disconnect the plug to the switch however-
    When you do, it has a little metal tab that slides and completes the circuit.
    Pull the plug and see if you can wedge the tab "open" with a toothpick or ??? and give it a try.

There is also a possibility, that the switch may not be adjusted properly. Some Craftsman tractor owners have had to shim the switch so the plunger is pushed a bit further.

• bf_red_40
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks bill kapaun, but no success. Someone told me there are many safety switches on this mower and I need to find the right one that's causing the problem. So far I can't find it, but I'll have to keep looking. Anybody know where it could be...

• bill_kapaun
    15 years ago

Found a schematic for a 954140010.
    Npt sure if it matches your tractor, but....

Does your machine have an Operator Presence Relay?

It will look similar to this-
    Terminals will be marked 30, 85, 86, 87 & 87A

{{gwi:139448}}

IF SO, then EVERY thing I said in previous posts is incorrect!!!
    It needs 12V THROUGH the seat switch to operate it!
    Check for burnt contacts etc.
    To test, simply unplug it. NOTE that this will disable safety features.

Strange how 2 tractors with the same model# can have such different schematics!

• bf_red_40
    Original Author
    15 years ago

This is turning out weird. I moved the switch so it doesn't get depressed when I sit on the seat, but left it connected to the wires...AND NOW the mower works! But, after an hour of cutting, the BLADE stops turning. Engaging the blade does nothing. So now the mower runs but the blades don't turn. By the way it does have the relay in the photo. I changed it brand new a few days ago.

• redsky42
    15 years ago

bf_red_40, I have an LTH130 and my electric PTO will not engage anymore. However, I have tried applying an independent power source directly to the PTO and get nothing. I'm pretty sure I need to replace mine. I just wanted you to know how it was acting prior to this. After cutting for about an hour to an hour and a half it would suddenly release even though the PTO engagement knob was still pulled out. The first couple of times it happened I got it going again by rapidly cycling the knob. The second to the last time it happened it took about 15 mintues to get the blades turning again. The last time it happened...well...was the last time it happened b/c I haven't been able to get the PTO to engage since. I ended up investigating further and notice that the connector(from PTO to leads) was partially melted. I don't know if it was just it's time or what, but I can't get any kind of response out of it. Hope this info helps. I'm still waiting to save up enough to get a new PTO.

• bill_kapaun
    15 years ago

Do you have the owners manual with the schematic?
    IF SO, does it match the schematic in this?

http://www.oscar-wilson.com/MANUALS/AYP/954140010.PDF

According to this schematic, the relay ALSO completes the ground circuit for the electric PTO.

Let me know if they match or not, so we don't keep spinning our wheels in the wrong direction.

Do you have a volt meter?

• redsky42
    15 years ago

I've compared the link you posted to the schematic from my manual and they are eirily similar. Other than the fact that my mower doesn't include the hour meter or amp meter they are pretty much the same. A note about my rider: before it was given to me the seat switch was eliminated and the leads hard wired. Could this cause premature failure of the operator presence relay? and if so why is nothing else affected? I also don't see, in the schematic, where the clutch is grounded to anything, it's just shown "in circuit". If this is truly the case it should have reacted to an independent power source, right?

• redsky42
    15 years ago

I see. Ignor the part where I said "I also don't see, in the schematic, where the clutch is grounded," I understand. But that still doesn't change the fact that when I hooked it up to a battery nothing happened. BTW the I do have a voltometer but the fuse is blown and I'm looking for a replacement.

• bill_kapaun
    15 years ago

redsky42
    Why not start a separate thread about your mower?
    Trying to troubleshoot similar problems on 2 different machines can result in a lot of confusion. For example, my last post was directed to the OP. While I was composing it, you made your post.

That said, when you hooked up the battery to the PTO, did you also hook op the battery neg. to the PTO ground?
    The relay has to be working to complete the ground circuit!
    That means in addition to have a functional relay, you have to have the key ON and be in the seat.

Usually, the voltmeter fuse is for the AMPs range on a voltmeter. You can typically still read volts & ohms. Maybe yours is different?

• redsky42
    15 years ago

bill, I'm taking your advice and starting a new thread "Continuing PTO Investigation".

• rdaystrom
    15 years ago

If the machine dies when you let off the clutch. Bypass the switch on the clutch.

• bf_red_40
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you all for your help. I had a wire disconnected at the main pulley for the blade (I guess that's the pto). I'm cutting again and just leaving the seat safety switch connected but out of the way from the seat.
    Thanks again

• edward_wagoner_yahoo_com
    13 years ago

Everytime i engage the blades or let off the clutch the mower just dies..starts fine untill i do one or the other. Can anyone help???

• Eddie46
    13 years ago

Everytime i engage the blades or let off the clutch the mower just dies..starts fine untill i do one or the other. Can anyone help??? I have a Poulan Pro with a 18.5 Intek Twin OHV Riding Mower