Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mitchb2

Dixon ZTR...uneven cutting

mitchb2
17 years ago

I have a Dixon 4515 with a 48" deck, 3 mulching blades.

When I mow, instead of getting one nice wide strip, I can see the 3 individual strips. It looks bad. What's worse, there's a thin strip of grass between 2 of the blades that doesn't get cut.

What can I do about this?

Comments (11)

• okcdan
    17 years ago

Sounds like a blades issue. Either someone installed incorrect (too short) blades... or maybe something was hit with one of 'em knockin a big chuck out of it. But that's less likely, cuz you'd probably be noticing significant vibration from a blade severely out of balance.

When's the last time you checked the blades? I'd say go get urself a new (the correct ones) set, put 'em on there & you'll be good to go!

My 2 cents

Good day, Dan

• metal
    17 years ago

Has it done this since new, or is this a new phenomenon? You may even have a loose blade?

• walt2002
    17 years ago

Both good suggestions above. Blades on this deck should be about 14-3/8" long.

By the way, I just came into the remains of Dixon parts inventory from a dealer who went out of business. (blades are all gone)

For other suggestions, wconner5@verizon.net

Walt Conner

• mitchb2
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks...I will check the blades this weekend. The mower is hard to get under. I wish I had a winch or something.

If I do need replacements, can I get blades anywhere, or do they have to be Dixon? The Dixon dealer closed down.

There's a John Deere dealer nearby.

• mitchb2
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks...I will check the blades this weekend. The mower is hard to get under. I wish I had a winch or something.

If I do need replacements, can I get blades anywhere, or do they have to be Dixon? The Dixon dealer closed down.

There's a John Deere dealer nearby.

• okcdan
    17 years ago

Should be able to find 'em at most mower shops. There's a mower shop near me that has an entire wall with blades. If you can't find any locally, You can always look at a product like this on eBay or you could look at this other online source or just google dixon blades & see what turns up.

Good day, Dan

• walt2002
    17 years ago

Blades of proper length with the right size center hole will work. Off hand, I do not know of another mower using the same blade. Many Dixon Dealers are going out of business and more are likely now that Husqvarna (sp) has bought them.

Stens online will have the blades.

Walt Conner

• mitchb2
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I can't believe I was so careless. The top of the deck was completely jammed with grass. Pulleys, belts, everything.
    That would account for the blades not spinning right.

I cleaned it all out, and it did the trick.

• rico567
    16 years ago

Had the problem with my 4231 42" hydrostat. New (and, I suspect, sharper....) blades solved the problem. I got the Gator Blades (mulching blades) for the replacements, and it also makes a world of difference in the quantity of cuttings visible after a mow. I now swap out two sets of Gator Blades, and sharpen regularly.

• walt2002
    16 years ago

Where the heck did this thread come from, it is a year old. By the way, don't know why I didn't mention this the first time but Dixon's come in 42" and 50" decks, not 48". and I still have some new Dixon parts for sale.

Walt Conner

• em321
    10 years ago

I have this same problem with my 2005 Dixon ZTR Ram 44 - two strips of grass, one on each side of the center blade, only get partially cut. This occurred when the unit was new, after trying different blades including gator, and after the dealer adjusted the deck alignment.
    Any suggestions?