Return to the Lawn Mowers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Craftsman rear wheel drive question

Posted by mustangm (My Page) on
Tue, Sep 14, 10 at 16:18

I have a Craftsman self propelled mower model 247.372550. The left rear wheel is the drive wheel and it is working fine. The issue I am having is when I pull the mower in reverse, the drive wheel does not turn easily and seems to be clicking. If I lift the mower, remove the plate over the rear wheels and manually turn the drive wheel in reverse, I can see that the large pully is enguaging. Thoughts?

Thanks much for the assistance, Mark

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Craftsman rear wheel drive question

Just a bit more information: Last night I discovered that the right rear wheel is also a drive wheel, but did not work. I found that where the pawl plate attached to the plastic wheel it was damaged causing the pawl not to align with the ratchet wheel (I had to lookup these part names). I was able to drill a new hole in the wheel and attach the pawl plate in a different spot on the wheel. So what I would like to understand more is how the rear wheel drive is suppose to work, When I manually turn the pulley clockwise, the wheels turn one directiosn. When I turn the pully counter-clockwise, the rear wheels turn in the opposite direction. This seems logical and seems to all work. WHen I let go of the drive bail I am able to push the mower forward and the wheels move freely as the pawl skips over the ratchet wheel. However, when I pull the mower backward, the pawl will engauge the ratchet wheel and thus takes some effort to pull in reverse. Is this the way the mower is suppose to work? Or when pulling in reverse is it suppose to disengauge from the gears somehow so the wheels spin freely?

o

On most RWD mowers, if you disengage the drive and then try to pull backwards, the drive wheels are still engaged and it's hard to pull. The proper way to do this is to disengage the drive but keep pushing the mower forward for 3-6 inches. Now when you pull back it should be easy. That's how my 2009 model Craftsman works and Toro recommends the same technique.

o

Thanks junebug, I will give that a try!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lawn Mowers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here