Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bigschmid

Craftsman Lawn Tractor (Mod 917.270821) 19.5 HP

bigschmid
13 years ago

I have a Craftsman Lawn Tractor (Mod917.270821) 19.5 HP B&S and when I try to start it all it does is make a loud "whirr" noise. Is the starter bad? If so, do I just replace the whole starter motor? Is this a difficult job? Pls give me details (not sure what I am doing!!). Thanks to all responses!!

Comments (7)

• ewalk
    13 years ago

Sounds like the Bendix possible is not engageing . Is Your Battery and Starter Electrical Connection's fully charged and clean ?

• yugeen_comcast_net
    13 years ago

mine is doing the exact same thing. What was wrong with yours and could you fix it yourself?

• bluemower
    13 years ago

Your engine is the old Briggs opposed twin. This was a very good engine and is worth maintaining.

As already mentioned, the most likely cause of the problem is a sticking or failed starter drive. This is attached to the starter motor with a "C" clip. A new starter drive (part 696541) costs about $25.00 and is available from many Briggs dealers. Unfortunately, the average homeowner lacks the training and tools needed to replace the part. A service dealer would probably require about 1 - 1.5 hours to replace the part.

The complete starter assembly (part 497596) is probably not stocked by most dealers, but is readily available from the Briggs distributors. The cost of this item is around $100.00 unless you can find a sale price. A home owner with mechanical skills should be able to replace the starter in about an hour. If you choose to replace this yourself, ask how to accomplish the task.

• rustyj14
    13 years ago

Believe the previous post-er! Do not go out and buy a new starter, without first having somebody with experience in engines that have electric starters!
    The battery could be dead or discharged, the battery connections could be corroded. It could be the ignition switch. It could be the starter solenoid! It could be in the wiring. It could be that the starter is connected to the cables backwards! It could be in the clutch pedal switch. It could be the seat switch. And, the battery cables might be connected backwards at the battery!
    So, it could be any one of those things, but you have decided that a new starter will cure it! Heigh-ho!!
    And, away you go--to the poor-house! Know how much a new starter costs? In excess of $100!

• bill_kapaun
    13 years ago

Your engine should be a -
    Briggs
    42E707-2631-E1

I'd suggest going to the Briggs website and downloading the IPL for THAT engine.

You can also find a diagram in the owners manual.
    http://www.managemyhome.com/mmh/lis_pdf/OWNM/98080210.pdf

Page 54/60. The "assembly" is 510.
    Possibly, just a cleaning may be all that's needed, to allow the gear to "spiral" on the shaft.

• walt2002
    13 years ago

The very first thing I would do is check the condition of the starter gear. Are the teeth worn off? You can replace the starter gear. It is easy if it held on with a roll pin, not quite as easy if it uses the blankety blank "C" retainer. Start under one edge of retainer and work it up and off. It will want to "fly away" so take precautions. re-install with a small socket that just slips over the starter shaft.

Starter Bendix may need cleaning. As said above, you may not be getting enough current to the starter due to things mentioned.

Walt Conner

• Derrick Hall
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

i can change mine out in about 10 minutes or less. These replacement starters are pretty cheap on Amazon 30.00. Change it out with one of those and enjoy. When I replace a starter or solenoid though I change battery, spark plugs, filters and solenoid all at the same time (not required but that's just how I do things).