Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
boilers1_gw

Lawn Boy rebuild

boilers1
13 years ago

For a Lawn Boy F Series rebuild the repair manual calls for "Apply a very thin coat of Lawn-Boy Gasket Maker (Part #682302) to crankcase cover sealing surface." when putting the crankcase back together.

Is this necessary? If so, is there any suggestions as to an alternative material to use. I can not find this spacific Gasket Maker.

Comments (11)

• canguy
    13 years ago

The goop is essential to provide an air tight seal. Permatex, Loctite and others make suitable products.

• eric_2007
    13 years ago

use the non hardening type permatex form a gasket tube. should be standard item at auto parts store. Whichever one you use avoid any that states "not gasoline resistant". clean both surfaces competly with gasket remover and plastic putty knife prior to reintall. I use thin layer on surfaces then spread liquid across full surface areas with fingers. Tighten crankcase half bolts using "x" patern and tighten steps from handtight to half torque to full torque spec alternating bolts just like installing a head. Also be sure to install the oil seals after you assemble the engine block, use punch with large flat end to gently countersink seals if you dont have the OEM tool. These engines are fairly easy to work on since they avoid valves, lifters, cameshaft ect

• indy452
    13 years ago

Heres what you need. You must use it. I get mine at any good auto parts dealer.

Here is a link that might be useful: G maker

• carusoswi
    13 years ago

Where can a find a repair manual? My F engine is sick (don't quite know what's wrong, but it's definitely sick). I'd like to dig into it, and a manual would make me almost fearless.

Thanks.

Caruso

• indy452
    13 years ago

Heres a good manual for you.

Here is a link that might be useful: LB manual

• carusoswi
    13 years ago

Thank you!

• newtie
    13 years ago

The F series Lawnboy 2-cycle engines are good and very powerfull but the carburators on the last ones made (except for the commercial model) are nothing but plastic junk.

• boilers1
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Got a rebuild kit on Ebay. Comes with necessary gaskets, upper and lower seals, piston and rings. Used the anarobic permatek as suggested. My slow F series now runs like a champ. Ready for another 26 years of mowing.

• orangedotfever
    13 years ago

Keep it well fed with good 2 cycle oil and MMO in the mix and it should last at least that long. I mix my Lawnboys at 40:1 2 cycle oil and then add enough MMO to bring the total ratio up to 32:1. This keeps the carb clean and the carbon deposits down to almost nothing. You'll need a couple of sets of new wheels for that many years though.

• ewalk
    13 years ago

Orange , I new you were putting some form of top end cleaner in those Old LB's to resolve the TC-W3 Carbon Issues ! You Sly Ole Dog Pullin Ole "E's" Chain all along .

Blr: On a Serious Note Follow Orange's advice he has a Wealth of Old LB Knowledge . :)

• orangedotfever
    13 years ago

LOL. Yeah, I've been running this "Agent Orange" mix for almost 2 years now. It works great. I run different oils in all 13 of my Lawnboys to compare results. Here are the oils I've been running for the last 2 years with the MMO mix.

5270 D series - Yamalube

F engine Frankenboy-1 - Whatever I have mixed up for the trimmer and blower

F engine Frankenboy-2 - Honda GN2

7268 - Bel-Ray MC1

R7070 - Maxima Super M

7351 - Quaker State

C21ZPN - Blendzall Ultra

M21ZMRD Premix Pusher - Klotz Benol

10590 Fresh Lube Injector - Marathon Marine/Terrain

L21ZPNC - Mobil 1 2T

10415 - Pennzoil Marine Plus

10420 - Supertech (blue bottle)

10424 - Klotz Super Techniplate

The 2 M series mowers have only been running for the last month and manual doesn't list TC-W3 as an option due to them being piston ported engines running at 64:1.