Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hawkdriver_gw

Commercial Lawnboy 6211 Good Mower?

hawkdriver
16 years ago

I found a MINT 6211. I am a bit scared to get it because I have only had Toro mowers as a kid up until now.

Are these good mowers? are they heavy? This one is not self propelled, but I dont mind unless its a tank!

Can someone who has one or knows about Lawnboys let me know?

Kyle

Comments (17)

• 1saxman
    16 years ago

Commercial LBs are among the most sought-after mowers. A mint 6211 (1985) would be an incredible find. They are not heavy, with the 2-cycle engine and cast-aluminum deck.

• hawkdriver
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Alot of guys on here are talking about the lawnboys with the staggerd wheels performing so well, will this mower perform as well? For $100 would I be better off buying one of those others? Can I make this unit a mulcher, and not use the included bag?

Kyle

• indy452
    16 years ago

You do know that the 6211 is a four square decked mower don't you? Its not a staggered wheel deck according to the parts viewer.

I think that they are fairly heavy but the steel ball bearing wheels with grease zerk make pushing a breeze.

The "F" series engine has plenty of power for mulching if you choose. I recommend a mulching blade like a gator style though.

Would you be better off buying what other mower??

Neal

• 1saxman
    16 years ago

$100? How about letting us know where it is?

• tbick44
    16 years ago

Great mower I have had one for twenty two years,bought it new in 1985. Only drawback parts are getting a little difficult to find. I did speak to the gentleman in Texas who is selling the lawn boy 6211. I would by it in a flash if I didn't live in North Jersey. Good luck on your purchase

• hawkdriver
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Well guys, I bought it.

This thing is like a show piece! I can't believe the shape its in. The bag looks as if its never been used. I have all the original manuals as well as a service manual. These books dont have as much as a greasy finger print. Not to upset anyone, but I will be using this as a lawnmower, not as a collectors item.

The guy I got it from even tracked the maintence on a 3x5 card! I will do everyhing possible to keep this thing in such great shape!

Thanks Guys!

Kyle

• 1saxman
    16 years ago

Air filter condition is critical, since the air/fuel/oil is drawn into the crankcase. Any contamination will wear the bearings first then the cylinder/piston. Replace it as soon as it starts to feel brittle/crumbly. Wash and oil with filter oil. Use Lawn-Boy oil at 32:1 (8-oz can to 2 gallons) at least to start with so any trouble-shooting will be a little easier (we all know how much smoke to expect from a properly-running 'F' engine with LB oil at the correct ratio). Check all fasteners and you should pull the muffler and check the exhaust ports - this is annual maintenance usually done before winter storage. Check bolts under the muffler too. I would use only original-type blades - they mulch and bag great. But the best thing is, when you get out there on Saturday morning, you'll be having an experience while everybody else will just be cutting grass. Wait until you first get the aroma of LB oil mixing with the cut grass!

• hawkdriver
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Id really like to post pictures of this mower, but cant figure out how. If I email them would some be willing to post them for me?

Do you mean to say that the "F" engines smoke alot? This one doesnt smoke at all, at least at idle! Although he doesnt use lawnboy oil he uses regular TCw3. Sounds like maybe I should be using Lawnboy oil. Anybody know what the HP on this engine is?

Kyle

• 1saxman
    16 years ago

hawk; your tendency to read stuff between the lines that isn't there makes trying to help you very difficult. As for me, I'm not volunteering any more information to be misconstrued.

• hawkdriver
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Saxman-

Hey sir, I have to admit I am a little more exciterd about this mower, than I would be had a bought a $99 mower at Wal-Mart.

I hope you forgive me. It is only natural however to not understand everyting you tell me perfectly. I can't make anybody on any forum help me, that would be silly. I would suggest this, if you don't want to share your knowledge and expriences on the subject that you obviously know and love, maybe you should find a different forum, or not post on one at all.

Or...... in your case, pour yourself another Brandy Manhatten and verbally lash the new guys on the lawnmower forum on a sunday night!

Kyle

• hawkdriver
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Ok, I put some photos of the 6211 on my iDisk. They are in the folder labled LawnBoy!

Here is a link that might be useful: Lawnboy Photos

• echoman
    16 years ago

Real NICE mower hawkdriver! For $100, you stole it in that condition. Lots of helpful Lawn Boy guys to help you answer questions here anytime you have them. Enjoy that mower!

• indy452
    16 years ago

Thats a nice mower. You should get years of service from it.

Keep it clean and use fresh fuel/oil mix and you will be glad you bought it over the home cheapo models.

Neal

• mattv21
    16 years ago

Yes, nice mower indeed! And I'm not even a Lawnboy fan club member, but that's sweet. One thing though: do _not_ continue using TCw3 oil. That's specifically for water-cooled engines (e.g., outboards) and is not supposed to be used in an air-cooled engine. Lawnboy oil is supposed to be good. A bunch of us have been very impressed with Mobil 2T and Torco GP-7 recently. Get a good synthetic oil for air-cooled 2-cycles and you will be doing yourself and the mower a favor.

• hawkdriver
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Yeah I have read that. I guess I had no idea, and had no one corrected me, I would have continued to use the same oil that the previous owner had used.

I will be using Lanwboy oil from here on out! I may think of changin to a muclhing blade as well.

• thebigelf
    13 years ago

I have a Lawn Boy 6211, purchased new in 1986. I am less excited about the exercise that goes with a push mower than I was 24 years ago so have decided to sell. I have used it to mow a bit over 1/2 acre, it has been in the weather but have touched up the paint and replaced the Lawn Boy stickers and such with new, so it looks pretty good. Needs some encouragement with starting fluid at the beginning of the season. Can someone tell me what it's worth?

• driver_dav_yahoo_com
    13 years ago

Hey I just picked up a free Lawn-Boy 6211 looks mint to me unknown running condition now if i get this thing running how much are they worth in the Minnesota area (Twin Cities) email me if you can ( driver_dav@yahoo.com )
    Thanks!