Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
razorback56

Need some expert advise

razorback56
13 years ago

I am new to this forum and have read only for a few days but it seems there are some knowledgeable folks hanging around ready at any time to give some advise. Here is your opportunity.

I have a 1984 Lawn Boy Special Model 7072. It has never been in the shop for 26 years. Changed the plug 5 times, air filter twice and sharpened the blade 5 times. Pump the primer 3 times pull the cord 3 times and it starts...every time. I think you get the picture. That all stopped last Saturday.

In the middle of mowing, it made a terrific grinding sound and went to about 1/4 power and ran for about two minutes and stopped DEAD. The local LB(Toro)dealer said the vane in the carb came apart and flew through the engine destroying the piston and rings.

Well, I have been to Lowes, Home Depot, Toro dealer and the internet looking at the mowers. I even looked at a few electric thinking I'll go green.....? Once you get past the glitter of self-propelled (at various speed even), electric key start, bigger bags and one knob that raises all the wheels at the same time they all are about the same ranging in cost from $225-$850.

The question is rebuild the Lawn Boy at $338 and have a 2 stroke mower or buy at new 4 stroke of approximately the same cost?

Comments (2)