Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
slowpoke_gardener

defective craftsman rear drive

slowpoke_gardener
13 years ago

Hello mower pros

I need help. I have a craftsman 917.377820 21" 7 hp. with rear drive. The mower is about 6 years old and the rear drive has been undependable from day one. while it was under warranry sears kept it patched up. some times one wheel would pull, some times both, at times none. The mower has always been too loud and I am tired of messing with it. It appears that Pawl #175098 is worn, maybe the whole ass. #188330 & #188331.

My wife and I are getting up in years and need a dependable self propeled mower. We have a ditch and bank by the hwy. that we want to keep mowed. I think it would need a rear drive, but not sure.

I dont care a lot about mulching, or bagging but having that option would be OK.

I have read about the Honda and Toro and both sound fine except our hands dont work as good as they did at one time and I am not sure we could handle a thumb controled drive lever.

We would like something simple, easy to use and dependable.

Any advice will greatly appreciated.

Larry

P.S. I would not mind repairing this mower if the drive could be made dependable, I could live with the loud engine if I had to.

Comments (4)