Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sailorpaddy

Weedeater push mower spray gas/oil from muffler

SailorPaddy
11 years ago

Hey everyone - new member here.

I picked up a 22" Weedeater walk-behind from the curb a couple days ago, and today was the first time I actually got a chance to look it over. Off the bat, I noticed the air filter assembly was missing ($10 - no biggie). Otherwise, it looked fine.

When I fired it up, however, I understood why they'd tossed it. As soon as it started (which it had no problem doing), it began spray what appeared to be a gas/oil mix out of the muffler (see included picture), along with smoking like crazy. The smoke leveled off after a minute, but the spray continued.

I'm not 100% sure there's oil in the spray, but it's dark gray in color, and is slightly slippery. The oil on the dipstick is somewhat watery, but that could possibly be chalked up to the previous owner's choice of oil.

I've already pulled the tank and drained the fuel (a lot of sediment in the bottom). I'll also be draining/replacing the oil shortly. I'm inclined to think it's a bad gasket, but I'm far from an expert. I just fix these curb queens up and sell/donate them as a hobby.

I've listed the specs below for reference:

Weedeater Push Mower

Model # 96114002300

500 Series: 158cc Briggs and Stratton Engine/5.00 ft-lbs torque

22" steel deck

Side discharge/mulch

Any suggestions/advice are appreciated.

-Patrick

Comments (4)