Return to the Lawn Mowers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Weedeater push mower spray gas/oil from muffler

Posted by SailorPaddy VA (My Page) on
Tue, Sep 4, 12 at 19:15

Hey everyone - new member here.

I picked up a 22" Weedeater walk-behind from the curb a couple days ago, and today was the first time I actually got a chance to look it over. Off the bat, I noticed the air filter assembly was missing ($10 - no biggie). Otherwise, it looked fine.

When I fired it up, however, I understood why they'd tossed it. As soon as it started (which it had no problem doing), it began spray what appeared to be a gas/oil mix out of the muffler (see included picture), along with smoking like crazy. The smoke leveled off after a minute, but the spray continued.

I'm not 100% sure there's oil in the spray, but it's dark gray in color, and is slightly slippery. The oil on the dipstick is somewhat watery, but that could possibly be chalked up to the previous owner's choice of oil.

I've already pulled the tank and drained the fuel (a lot of sediment in the bottom). I'll also be draining/replacing the oil shortly. I'm inclined to think it's a bad gasket, but I'm far from an expert. I just fix these curb queens up and sell/donate them as a hobby.

I've listed the specs below for reference:

Weedeater Push Mower
Model # 96114002300
500 Series: 158cc Briggs and Stratton Engine/5.00 ft-lbs torque
22" steel deck
Side discharge/mulch

Any suggestions/advice are appreciated.

-Patrick

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Weedeater push mower spray gas/oil from muffler

Hi Patrick.You could just try changing the oil and see if the smoke clears. Many times on these tho, the diaphragm that rests between the fuel tank and carb distorts- creating a rich condition causing rough running, excessive smoking etc.

o

Tom,

Thanks for the reply. Would a rich condition be enough to cause the spray from the muffler, especially with that amount?

o

I'm guessin that somebody tipped the mower up the wrong
way, and the muffler got filled up with oil. Change the
oil, making sure the engine has the proper amount in it
when you put in the fresh oil, then take 'er out in the back 40 and let 'er run for a good long time, (at least
half an hour). That should clear out the muffler. Other than that, I can't think of any way that oil can be getting into the muffler, in such quantities, as to continue spraying non stop.
HEY, at least you'll keep the skeeters away for a while.

o

The actual MODEL & TYPE numbers of the engine would be useful to determine exactly which engine/carb etc. you have.

http://www.outdoordistributors.com/Briggs_And_Stratton/briggsmodelid.html

Your symptom sounds more typical of a bowl type carb with a leaking needle & seat assembly, allowing gasoline to run through the carb and into the crankcase when the engine is OFF..
Does the oil SMELL like gasoline?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lawn Mowers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here