Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
alberturzen

toro and lawn boy hunting

alberturzen
11 years ago

toro self propelled 2 cycle when not e.ngaged hunts idle up and down. 2 cycle lawn boy same thing. help drives me crazy

Comments (4)

• andyma_gw
    11 years ago

Yah, my old Toro with a Suzuki 4 stroke does the same thing. Drove me crazy at first, but the mower starts 1st pull, doesn't stall and cuts well. It straightens out into a roar when the blade is engaged. Somebody said to clean out the pilot jet. I'm not messing with it unless it starts to perform poorly. Sounds terrible, doesn't it? The 2stroke is 4 cycling due to a lean air/ fuel ratio. Some guys open up the jets with a tiny drill bit. . Also check the carb and intake for tightness. If some thing is loose it will have too much air.

• Brandon Smith
    11 years ago

Sounds like what the hondas do when gas is left in the tank/carb too long and the ethanol gumms everything up, I think. I call what the Hondas do "surging" I wouldn't call it a hunt per se more of a up and down pulsing of the rpm's. Hope were on the same page!

My old HRT did it a bit and my newer HRX did it when I purchased it as the last who had it left gas in it w/o treatment. So I just took the carb off/apart and cleaned the heck out of it. Still did it. Then I found that you can get these Honda carbs for ~$20 and just ordered one. It has to be in choke to not surge and wouldn't idle when throttled down (to the turtle speed!). So I finally threw the new one on and it runs/idles like a champ and fuel economy is vastly improved.

Moral of the story, try cleaning the carb like crazy and if no better find a new carb.

• alberturzen
    Original Author
    11 years ago

i have a mtd power propelled mastercut 4008 cannot find model no. or serial no. this is what i have on tag on deck 131/4008/c048k2. what is all this. would like to get repair manual need web sight. mower was cutting grass stalled will only fun couple seconds. love the old mower. front wheel drive.

• tomplum
    11 years ago

albert, engine #s should be present. Typically are stamped into the shrouding or on a decal on the engine itself. If it is an MTD 131- that would be a 1991 model for reference. Engine manuals and even better advise can be found with more pertinent info.