Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jamc_gw

lawnboy won't start

jamc
10 years ago

Hi, I have a1991 or 92(not sure) CS19ZPNA that won't start. I ckecked the spark plug and it has good spark. I cleaned the carb and checked the float and it does float. One thing I'm not sure about is the spring how it attaches to the speed lever. What does the flag like plastic piece do that is near the aluminum fins? Is it act like a governor? It does leak out of the carb when mower is turned on it's side after the gas valve TIA

Comments (5)

• baymee
    10 years ago

This photo might help. The vane controls the speed. The serated round disc under it controls the engine RPMs. Turning it, a click at a time, raises/lowers the RPM.

People swear by Lawnboys but the governor setup is the most stupid thing I've ever run across.

This is only one of several governor setups. I don't have any good pictures. You will see the one end of the spring hooked to the black control lever and the other end on the white lever at the area where it makes a 90 upward.

• jamc
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Baymee for the photo. That is the carb that I have. Looks like I may have bent the spring too many times since it doesn't line up as in the photo. Does the big plastic like gasket go in between the two smaller gaskets when installing the carb? Also how many turns should the air screw be turned out from the seated position?

• baymee
    10 years ago

Here's a better picture. The spring doesn't hook to the vane as I thought. The spacer goes between the two thin gaskets. They usually act as an insulator.

• jehiatt
    10 years ago

Great detailed pictures. I don't see posts that JAMC got it running again.
    I find Water in the gas and carb are 90 percent of starting/running problems on small engines. Just loosening the carb bowl nut would have let the water leak out but, there could have more in the gas tank needed to leak out also. Gas floats on water.
    The picture, is of my much too small water filter bowl, installed on one of my yard machines and the highly visible result of a small piece of blue water dye pill put in my gas tank. You can see it's time to empty my bowl before the water reaches the carb. Engines won't run on water but, they will poot and backfire and such when water begins getting to the
    piston area. LOL

• jamc
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I haven't gotten back to working on the mower since I still use my other lawnboy a 1977 model 7266 which still runs great but the crank bushings are getting sloppy. Two months ago our 1975 LB model 7225 D601 engine finally died. I tried repairing but ended up stripping the threads on the cyl. head for the spark plug. Not sure if a heli coil would work. That 1975 mower owes us nothing, it cut a hell of alot in its day. I miss it already. Funniest part is both LB's died when my wife was cutting. Is she trying to tell me something?