Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
baymee

Honda 160 stalling after one minute

baymee
13 years ago

I'm looking at a genuine Honda 160 with OHC. Starts easily, and runs flawlessly for one minute, starts to miss, and stalls, sometimes backfiring before it does.

Gas is clean, and runs full flow out of the carb bowl for 30 seconds. Immediately after it stalled, I pulled the valve cover and there was sufficient valve lash at TDC. Removing gas cap does not help. Engine is spotless and well maintained.

The only thing I can think of is the internals of the carb. What do you guys think?

Comments (9)

• canguy
    13 years ago

Close the coil air gap to .008, it may make a difference.

• baymee
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I thought I'd find the valve settings on google, but no luck. Do you know them?

• lbpod
    13 years ago

Maybe a valve seat is riding is riding
    up, upon warm up?

• baymee
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Then it would have to reset itself because within 5 minutes of shutdown, I had the valve cover off and there was plenty of gap.

• tomplum
    13 years ago

.004 each will do on these. If compression seems good when it shuts down, it could be a fluke coil. I assume a shot of carb spray fails to revive it? The only thing I've seen similar is the gummy valve stems. Once it starts, follow through w/ bursts of carb spray to help clean them.

• ewalk
    13 years ago

Start with the Simple Bay , (KISS) You know the Program . Start as Tom advises with the Carb Cleaning Route and (or) Top End Lubricant cleaner should the Valves look suspect ? Then perhaps Coil Load Testing or the Baking Trial . Just a Question , Compression and Spark Plug are Optimium ?

• baymee
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I siliconed the valve cover back on today and will check the coil air gap, spark, and carb trick tomorrow. I just love engines that use silicone instead of gaskets on their valve covers.

I guess they're trying to tell us that their engines are so good, you never need to remove the valve cover.

• baymee
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Update: The unit is running. I tried the carb cleaner and not the coil adjustment. I started it and intermittently sprayed carb cleaner into the throttle body. After about 5 minutes, it kept running. (It never threatened to stall) At that point I added an ounce or two of sea foam to tank 1/4 full and put it aside where it ran for about 30 minutes without stalling. Case closed, for now.

• ewalk
    13 years ago

Bay: Good to hear you seem to have the problem solved. Should it reoccur , try checking the plug colouration if lighter than normal check for intake gasket leakage . The back firing scenario may indicate sucking air , but also can be from carb related cleaning requirement as you have found.