Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
iliketacos_gw

Snapper Hi-Vac vs. Mulcher. Commercial vs Non Commercial.

iliketacos
13 years ago

Hello everyone,

Im planning on buying a new Snapper mower with the Kawasaki engine this spring. My question... Is the Commercial Snapper worth the extra cost? also, Mulcher or Hi-vac, which is better? I do mulch most of the time but I will most likely bag a few times in the fall. Thanks in advance for any help.

Comments (9)

• heintooga
    13 years ago

I have the mulcher with a Kaw. and it's a great machine. Since you mulch I would take the mulching deck over the Hi-Vac. The mulching deck will disperse clippings better and not build up like bagging decks. Also, the mulcher will bag very well so there would be no real disadvantage for occasional cleanups. The only difference in the commercial unit are the wheels (steel with bearings).

• roadbike
    13 years ago

Are you going to be using the mower in a lawn mowing business? If not I can't think of a reason to spend extra on a commercial model.

I would think that your use would determine the machine to buy. If you mulch most of the time then buy a machine dedicated to mulching and not vacuuming. You should consider a Toro Super Recycler, which will mulch and bag equally well.

Whether the lawn mower has a kawasaki, honda, toro or tecumseh engine is largely irrelevant to performance. What is important is that the engine has enough power to cut grass effectively. Hopefully you are not paying extra for the Kawasaki decal.

• iliketacos
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I am still looking at other mowers atm but I am leaning toward the Snapper for a few reasons. From what ive been told and what ive read online the snapper has a very simple drive system that is easy and cheap to work on. Also ive read that the Snappers deck is very tough and will stand alot of years of abuse. Also from what Ive read the KAW is a very good motor that outlasts and out performs the Briggs. I did look at Toro a bit but mostly the recyclers sold and Home depot. I do plan on looking into the super recyclers on Toros website and at a dealer. I am looking to buy a mower that will last many years. That being said, I am open to any suggetions or reccomendations. Also I would love to hear from anyone who owns or has owned one of these models or a similar model.

• roadbike
    13 years ago

"From what ive been told and what ive read online the snapper has a very simple drive system that is easy and cheap to work on."
    RB> Do you know how the Snapper drive works? If not find out. The Toro slipped drive belt is the ultimate of simplicitiy, control and relability.

"Also ive read that the Snappers deck is very tough and will stand alot of years of abuse."

RB> Have you seen the Snapper and Super Recycler deck? Or are you just guessing.

"Also from what Ive read the KAW is a very good motor that outlasts and out performs the Briggs."

RB> Where precisely did you read that the Kawasaki engine lasts longer than a Briggs & Stratton and how was that proven? Do you realize that a lawn mower engine is usually the last thing to fail on a mower that has been maintained. It is nothing for them to run 30 years.

Exactly how does a Kawasaki engine outperform the Briggs or any other engine. Does it cut long blades of grass into short ones any more efficiently?

Your comments lead me to believe that manufacturer advertising more than anything else is the source of your information. Please take the time to actually look at the machines and do your own comparison before reaching a conclusion.

• ewalk
    13 years ago

RB: Good Points ! Worthy of Retaining !

ili: Super Recycler is a very Good Mower ! I have never been a Fan of Bagging Models , just my Opinion , since I have always Mulched ! You may also want to check out the Badboy Mowers .

• iliketacos
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Yes Ive seen the Snapper. No I have not seen the Toro. As stated in my last post I do plan on giving them a look when I get around to it. Ive been leaning toward the KAW because I have been led to belive it is of a higher quality than the briggs. No I cant prove it. Its just what Ive heard. I also had never heard of Badboy Mowers. I will have to look into those. Thanks for the suggestion.

• roadbike
    13 years ago

OK, you have made up your mind with little or no information. That's fine. At least you are picking a manufacturer with a reputation comparable to Toro and Honda. Why don't you just stop asking pointless questions, go out and buy the mower and start cutting grass. Jeeez!

• ewalk
    13 years ago

RB: Cut the Dude some Slack he's on a learning Curve . He likes the Kawasaki Engine Hype at least he not trying to Reverse Engine a 70's Vintage OMC 2-Stroke lol .

Note: Snapper / Toro / Honda Models all Fine Manufacturers . Justification on Consumer VS Commercial Grade in my Opinion would only be that your cutting is extensive (size) or your lawncutting involves very rough irregular surface where the stronger construction of the Commercial Chassis and Engine Design will ensure longer trouble free life cycle of the unit to justify the added cost of purchase .

• rustyj14
    13 years ago

I use two Snapper RER's, one with 12 h.p., and the smaller one with 8 h.p. The larger one has the bagger on it, and the only time i didn't get good bagging from it, was when the bag fell out of the holder, and i backed over it! I bought the 12 hp back in 1983, and have used it every year since, although i had to re-engine it last year.
    I have a woods full of oak and other trees, so you can imagine how many leaves i have to remove every fall.
    The 8 h.p. Snapper came as a gift, and i use it just for mowing, as it doesn't have the bagger. I did have to re-engine it, too.
    I can't understand why so many folks, who don't have one, never used one, and any other complaints, have odd ideas about the Snappers! Yes, they are unconventual, but they do work well! I guess the idea of having the tractor between their legs helps their male ego!
    And, some have complained about the machine "rearing up"!
    I have had that happen at times, but it never turned back over on me! Far from it. I suppose, if ya tried to climb a stone wall, it might do that. Been using them since almost forever. And ain't going to stop using them!