Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
saaboc

old (80's) Toro & Lawnboy 2 cycle mowers

saaboc
13 years ago

I just moved & gave away my collection of +- 15 mowers to a kid who helped me schlep stuff for close to a week...he earned every one. However, now the mowers are annoying his dad & I've an opportunity to reclaim them.

All are either runners, or cool projects...most notably a 99.9% complete 2 stroke lawn boy (offset front wheel/steel deck) & an operational 2 stroke Toro (alum deck/Suzuki eng). The former sat for many yrs OUTSIDE, yet somehow still runs...but nds a major go over. The later works great, save for the notorious overheating coil issue which is only an issue if the mower is shut off mid mow...then it'll be non-op for an hour till it cools off.

Soooo...do I want them back? I do NOT have the space to accumulate mowers anymore. I'd basicaly be saving them from the scrap iron salvage place & possibly making a few bucks selling them on eBay.

Effort vs reward...worth my time?

Comments (9)

• roadbike
    13 years ago

If you didn't pay the person (kid) who helped you to move for 7 days then you should have paid him. He should have been paid in cash and not with 15 (gawd) worn out lawn mowers. What a cheapskate. That is how his dad is likely viewing this one-sided deal and it's how I as a father view it. And yes you should take the collection of junk back and dispose of it as you see fit.

• saaboc
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hmmm...thought this was a lawn mower forum, not a Miss Manners forum. Well "Dad", perhaps you should spend more time w/your children & less time here making insipid remarks. Fyi, the kid who heled me move was also reimbursed w/a pretty nice 27spd Cannondale mtn bike, needing a bit of work, but not so much so as to prevent him from riding it 15 mi to my house & back for a week...I also bought him lunch every day. The mowers were his idea. Why don't I bring them to your place...might get your kids out from in front of the TV?

• roadbike
    13 years ago

Hmmm...maybe you should spend more time composing your messages. That way you will include all relevant information. And you should take the time to look up the definition of the word If, which precedes my statement.

But I notice you offloaded a junk bicycle instead of paying the kid in cash. And I'll bet you never took back those busted mowers either. What a cheapskate! I'll bet his dad is real unhappy about this whole deal. Why don't you take all that junk back and pay the kid with real money that he can actually use.

• indy452
    13 years ago

Wow....who pissed in his post toasties??

Anyway, Saaboc. I totally think they are worth your time and effort if you have it to give. Old Lawnboys and Suzuki two cycles are still sought after machines. Shipping them can be a pain in the butt but if you get a descent return its worth it.

BTW...those Cannondales are killer old bikes. I think you did a service to this youngster.

• rustyj14
    13 years ago

When i started in fixing mowers, a local kid gave me advice on how to do it. So, i gave him the Tecumseh engined ones, as a favor to him, for his advice. Over the years, he got around 20 or so, fixed them and sold them, and made ready cash from them. His Dad talked to me one day and thanked me for doing that, because it gave the kid some ideas about getting a better education, instead of running around with the bad-ads's at school. As for the Suzuki Two strokes, i always thought they were ok. An easy fix.

• ewalk
    13 years ago

Only Suzuki 2-stroke I found easy to work on was the "Spirit" Snowmobile Version 1975-1980 within Arctic Cat's lol !

• roadbike
    13 years ago

The mowers may have been his idea but he is a kid and not an adult. Kids need guidance from the adults in their lives and his father apparently realizes that 15 beat-up lawn mowers are not a good idea. You should follow the fathers lead and take those junkers back.

Actually I spent lots of years raising my now fully grown kids and am involved with several grandchildren. Over that time I found that kids do need guidance and to be told by the adults in their lives when something is not a good idea. That's something you should try.

• ewalk
    13 years ago

To get back on Topic and away from Parental Guidance Lesson 101 Issues , Yes Saab collecting various Small engines and repairing or parting out same can be an interesting side line activity . Numerous Buyers online searching for hard to find parts for various Older Mowers . Next Time you get a chance have the Kid assist with repairs and reconditioning as Rusty advised !

• backman01
    13 years ago

those suzuki engine were great engines you cant find parts anymore Rick