Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
generalkyle

Little help on how to make lawn mowers go faster?

generalkyle
14 years ago

Ok, I know if you get a bigger pully in front it will speed up your lawn mower. I was wondering if I could leave my back pully in or do I have to replace that one too? Also, does the front pully have to bigger than the back? What size should I get? It's a four-gear but the fourth gear doesn't work, so it's pretty much a three-gear. I'd like to go about 20 MPH in 3rd gear. Also, this is NOT for mowing. We gave it to my nephew for his birthday and we took off the blade. Also, I don't think I'll be pulling anything with it. But I would like speed, about 20 MPH, and enough power to go up steep hills good. I just want to know if I can just put a bigger one in the front and leave the back one in. And also if the front one has to be bigger than the back one. I doubt the front one has to be bigger, but I just want to make sure. I can get a longer belt, so I don't mind increasing the first front one's size and keeping the back's size the same. In fact, I would much rather have the back one stay in so I can just replace the front pully with a bigger pully.

P.S. if someone has a calculator where I can see what size will go so fast, could you please put the link up?

Thanks.

Comments (18)

• bertd
    14 years ago

Not sure I can help, but I do know that most of those on this site with knowledge will want to know: make, model, type and code. No idea what you are working on. Good luck.

• generalkyle
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Well, it's a Murray (that's the brand). Not sure about anything else. It's not new; probably about 5-10 years old. Not working on anything specifically- just trying to make it go faster. And I want to know if I only need to replace the front pulley.

• baymee
    14 years ago

Changing pulleys would give you more speed but would the transmission take it?

Google the relationship of drive and driven pulleys and the corresponding change in RPM.

• rustyj14
    14 years ago

Reversing the pulley arrangement will give more speed, but result in loss of power! Which means--it will go faster down hill, but you may have to physically push it up hill.
    Why this infatuation with speed? If you want to go fast, up hill and down, then buy one of the various types of 4-wheel trail riders, with the powerful engines, and go speed around--much more desirable, than a monkeyed-with old lawn tractor! Check into the Go-cart forums. They will be better able to fill you in on how to do the job!

• generalkyle
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Wow. If you can't help me then don't say anything. I have a 4-wheeler but I want to customize my lawn mower. All I want to know is the size I need in the front so I can go buy it.

• davidandkasie
    14 years ago

there are plenty of racing mower websites out there, google them an dyou will find your answers. i don't think many on this board build racers/fast ones.

• rustyj14
    14 years ago

Wonder if he ever had his mouth washed out with soap?

• andyma_gw
    14 years ago

Disco the drive and push faster Grasshopper

• baymee
    14 years ago

For the younger folks, getting your mouth washed out with soap is not just an expression.

When I was a little kid, I repeated some words my aunt used and found out the meaning of that phrase.

• metal
    14 years ago

I would be willing to bet you will get no further help here after your last reply. Good Day.

• goodolrebeleric_aol_com
    13 years ago

well i would like to know too about making a lawn mower faster so.................... bring on the comments

• tomplum
    13 years ago

This should help...

Here is a link that might be useful: Summit

• rangerdon
    13 years ago

I saw a used mower once which had a sticker on the dash which read 'Do Not Exceed 45MPH'. And it had a speedometer!
    Don

• ewalk
    13 years ago

Tom : Good one lol !

• bla_aol_com
    12 years ago

get the biggest on front and smallest on back

• Alex Kreh
    7 years ago

put a 7 inch pulley on the motor and a 3 inch pulley on the trans it will go about 50 mph. http://smallengines.ca/pulley

• HU-160169672
    3 years ago

I cut the small pulley off. Turned it upside down cut a groove to except square key ,clamped it, and added the bolt. Adjust belt size, and added 15 to 20 mph. No adjustments to throttle. Fun stuff! Froaden.