Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mscot211

YS 4500 54'' won't run

Mscot211
9 years ago

I inherited a Craftsman YS 4500 54'' mower from a relative. It has a Kohler Courage High Performance Pro V-Twin 26hp. I first took a can of carb. cleaner to the carb. it until it was reasonably clean. Put it all back together didn't have a battery so tried to jump start it off a large SUV. It kept on turning but never tried to start. I checked if the plugs were sparking they were so I checked to see if fuel was flowing properly. It was not flowing it wasn't a slow drip or fast drip it was in-between. I then tried spraying starter fluid in to the carb. it seemed like it fired but the just kept on turning. I don't know what is wrong with it if someone has an idea please let me know.

Comments (4)

• tomplum
    9 years ago

# 1 Put a battery in this and clean the terminals. It is best to use your spray carb cleaner rather than starting fluid. So does it actually try to run via the carb spray? If it does, you have a fuel quality or supply issue. IE maybe an anti backfire solenoid is not functioning. If it doesn't run other than some pops and burps with the spray, I would pull the flywheel and check the key. Actual model numbers could help...

• tomplum
    9 years ago

# 1 Put a battery in this and clean the terminals. It is best to use your spray carb cleaner rather than starting fluid. So does it actually try to run via the carb spray? If it does, you have a fuel quality or supply issue. IE maybe an anti backfire solenoid is not functioning. If it doesn't run other than some pops and burps with the spray, I would pull the flywheel and check the key. Actual model numbers could help...

• Mscot211
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you tomplum for responding. Yes it did pop when I sprayed starter fluid in the carb. it also backfired through the carb. once. It does't try to start when I turn it over. Kohler Engine Model # SV735-0013 I don't know what to check under the flywheel but I'll take a look when I have some time this weekend.

• tomplum
    9 years ago

The key I was referring to basically fits in a slot both in the center of the flywheel and the engine crankshaft. This keeps the base ignition timing set. The folks at Kohler do offer a service manual for free at the below website. Just dust off your Internet Explorer, agree to the terms on the website and press the "enter as guest" button.To check the key, a simple puller is required and either a torque wrench or a good understanding of torque to re install the flywheel.

Here is a link that might be useful: Kohler