Return to the Lawn Mowers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Honda GCV 160 won't start

Posted by freedomeagle 7 (My Page) on
Thu, Sep 20, 12 at 22:11

I have a relatively new (less than 20 hours) Troy 27 ton logsplitter powered by a Honda GCV 160. I bought this new last year and it ran like a top all season. At the end of the season, I drained out all the gas.

Today, I put new gas in and tried to start it. It just simply won't start. At first, I thought it was fuel related but then I recalled it behaves like and outboard motor does when the kill switch is not functioning. In other words, it doesn't act like its sparking.

So I went to the hardware store and bought a new plug. Still won't start. I am pretty sure it is getting fuel into the carb because you can smell gas when you pull off the air filter.

I have tried various positions on the choke and it just won't turn over. Might there be some sort of kill switch somewhere I am missing? If not, any suggestions on what it could be? Its still under warranty so I could take it back but if its something simple, I would just as soon fix it. Taking it back in is such a PITA.

Thanks to all in advance for your responses.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Honda GCV 160 won't start

You need to check for spark, not just assume you do or don't have it.

Of course, we could start "assuming" and spend weeks dealing with the issue.

o

Good morning Bill and thanks for the advice.

I just checked and have a good spark.

o

It sounds as though old fuel in the carb bowl, or partially clogged emulsion tube in the stem of the carb. Valves can easily stick on these when they sit. If you spray a burst of carb spray into the throat of the carb- will it try to run when cranked?

o

I'm not the original poster but have a log splitter with the same issue and same engine. I'm getting spark and I've drained the fuel tank and put in new fuel. If I spray some starter fluid in to the throat of the carb, the engine runs for just a second.

Bowl of the carb is full of fresh fuel. Removed the carb and tried to clean it with carb cleaner- removed the float and needle valve and spayed and can see fuel going through the needle valve hole to the fuel supply line.

Put all back together and still won't start.

o

• Posted by ericwi Dane County WI (My Page) on
    Sun, Oct 6, 13 at 13:29

If the engine will run for a few seconds using carb cleaner sprayed into the throat of the carburetor, you have proven that the ignition and valves are working OK, and that the fuel system is the source of the problem. There has to be a clog or restriction in the fuel circuit somewhere, despite what has been done to clean the carburetor.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lawn Mowers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here