Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hawaiino_gw

Tru Cut mower questions / Seashore Paspalum

hawaiino
13 years ago

I've just caught on with GardenWeb, and I reviewed the reel mower and Tru Cut threads. I have about 6,000 sq.ft. of seashore paspalum and I want to try to manage about 1500 sq ft as near to "greens" quality as I can. Here in Hilo I'll have a lot of rain so this might not work out for other reasons than my reliability cutting the grass every other day, but....I'm willing to give it a try to see if I really make use of a backyard putting/chipping surface. I rejected putting in an artificial surface because every one I tried gave a poor result with my wedges, which I consider more important practice than the putting. So, I have some specific questions regarding:

I've decided on Tru Cut, we have a dealer on the Big Island with a $200 off special, so, the C-27 10 blade w/5.5 Honda is $2000 all in. Seems a good price for being out here in the middle of the Pacific. Is it? Is the Commercial series superior to the "Professional"series. I couldn't get much information from the dealer, they only handle the Commercial line and the lowest (Homeowner) line. The website doesn't offer comparative specifics.

I read of the "greens" package on a thread, it mentioned a different bed knife, etc. On the Tru Cut site I only see Speed Reducer, Grass Catcher, Roller, and Sulky as options. What would be important options to get the best results on my green? Can you order a backlapping "kit" from Tru Cut?

I read the thread that covered this subject, but I wonder if there is a specific kit for this brand.

I have another 4,500 sq.ft., some level and some a fairly steep incline, to take care of, hence my interest in the 27". I'm doing it now with a 17" 7 blade McLane, and that unit (Home Depot) is unimpressive, in terms of build quality and results.

Will I be impressed with the Tru Cut, or will I wished I spent a lot more and gotten a used Toro Greensmaster?

Mahalo for your help.

Comment (1)