Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
winston001_gw

Castelgarden TCP - Disconnect Transmission?

winston001
12 years ago

Greetings, I have not been here for some time, hopefully someone can help.

I have a 1999 Castelgarden TCP Hydro riding mower (called a Masport Twin-Cut here in New Zealand). If the battery is dead or the mower will not start, the machine cannot be moved. It becomes a very heavy brick.

Indeed I spent ages gingerly jacking it up on blocks so I could place it on a trailor to take to the repair shop.

So - how do I disconnect the drive or transmission so the machine can be pushed around? There is nothing in the manual.

Cheers

Winston

Comments (7)

• tomplum
    12 years ago

Riders that have a release rod many times are below the rear of the tractor.

• Greg Goyeneche
    12 years ago

Your tractor should be fitted with a Tuff-Torq K46. Very common in US as well as Europe and Asia. All are fitted with a Roll-Release or Bypass Lever. Should be on the top of the case, just behind the input shaft and fan.

This releases hydraulic pressure so you can maneuver the mower without running engine. Otherwise, you have hydro-lock and it's like the brakes are set hard.

• winston001
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks Tomplum, I've searched around the machine including jacking it up and going underneaththe rear, and I cannot find a lever.

Thanks also Ggoyeneche, that is a good logical suggestion. I will search further although I'm struggling to picture exactly where you mean. Much of the drive mechanism which contains belts and a chain is shielded by body-work. I imagine that is deliberate to keep grass and sticks away from the drive and blade belts.

Purely as a matter of interest, I also have a 16yr old Viking (Stihl) rider which is manually geared and side discharge only. It is a dream to work on compared to this rear-discharge hydro Castelgarden. Everything on the Viking is open and easy to see - and reach.

I bought the hydro from a friend because of its grass-catcher. Frankly its been more trouble than its worth but in fairness thats probabably because my friend didn't look after it. Interesting learning curve...

• winston001
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks Tomplum, I've searched around the machine including jacking it up and going underneaththe rear, and I cannot find a lever.

Thanks also Ggoyeneche, that is a good logical suggestion. I will search further although I'm struggling to picture exactly where you mean. Much of the drive mechanism which contains belts and a chain is shielded by body-work. I imagine that is deliberate to keep grass and sticks away from the drive and blade belts.

Purely as a matter of interest, I also have a 16yr old Viking (Stihl) rider which is manually geared and side discharge only. It is a dream to work on compared to this rear-discharge hydro Castelgarden. Everything on the Viking is open and easy to see - and reach.

I bought the hydro from a friend because of its grass-catcher. Frankly its been more trouble than its worth but in fairness thats probabably because my friend didn't look after it. Interesting learning curve...

• winston001
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Ok guys, I've peered around this machine and I cannot detect an obvious button or lever anywhere to release the hydrostatic pressure. Even the guys in the mower shop couldn't find one but then, they were young, and didn't need it once the machine was running.

I'm struggling to believe that the release point is hidden underneath a panel - that would be poor design and just silly.

Any suggestions please?

• tomplum
    12 years ago

As a temporary item, IE to have to push the thing to get it on the trailer- you could remove the key that locks the wheel hub to the transaxle on one side. That is unless it uses a double D shaft end like MTD in place of the key. Or lift one side as you roll it.

• winston001
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks Tom, appreciated. I'm sure there is a simple answer. I'll try and find an older experienced mechanic who has worked on these machines and ask.