Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mayflower1032

Snowblower Recommendation ??

mayflower1032
9 years ago

Need a snowblower. Long driveway. My snapper is dead (old and tired) after being undersized and overworked for 20 plus years. Hearing a lot about low quality engines now a days. Here is the consumer reports version of ratings. See they like Cub Cadet, even though never really thought of them as a leader in snowblowers.

Comments (5)

• a-c_homesteader
    9 years ago

I'd with the Ariens. Cub/Troy-Bilt/Yard Machines are all MTD which I'd avoid at all cost

• itzbinnice
    9 years ago

.Quite frankly I pay little attention of what Consumer Reports recommends. Although I don't own one, Honda is probably the best but most expensive.. Notice they don't even have one on their list. They always pushed Sears products which I didn't agree with and cancelled my subscription.

I own a 1995 8 HP (24") Ariens and it's still going strong.
    I'm not sure but I think most of the Snow blowers made today have Chinese engines (except Honda I believe).

If I were you I would check either Craigslist and Ebay for an older unit that may be in your area. I see the current Ariens models are not as well built as mine. If buying used make sure you can see it and test it before purchasing.
    Also consider an older Toro blower, they are well made. Best time to buy used snow blowers is in the summer.

Good luck in whatever you choose to do

• mayflower1032
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Honda was on there....but waayyy down on the list...could not fit it, but included here in case someone finds it beneficial when considering a purchase also. They are pricey...

• itzbinnice
    9 years ago

Honda way down the list, what a joke Consumer Reports is.

They put inferior MTD products way ahead of better manufactirers such as Honda, Toro, Simplicity, and Snapper.

Exactly the reason why I cancelled my subscription, their reporting is inaccurate. They must be getting something under the table.

• andrelaplume2
    9 years ago

Mixed emotions on CR. Note it likes the way the YARD Machines overall stacks up against the Honda...what is not mentioned is that the Honda will likely still be running in a few years whereas the Yard Machines may not. However longevity is not always the most desirable. My in-laws have a highly reccomended Honda mulching mower. I have no doubt it will last for years with regular maintenance. Personally though, I'd hate to have to use this thing even a half season since its the worst mulcing mower I have ever used. Luckily for me, they still make my Toro PP...and in fact can be had with the honda engine! Otherwise, I'd try a Craftsman..even knowing it would not last as long as the honda.