Return to the Lawn Mowers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Purchase advice

Posted by DerekXXX none (My Page) on
Fri, Oct 11, 13 at 8:25

Hi all,
I am new to this forum but would like some advice please. I have been tasked by my MIL with recommending a ride on mower for my father in law who will be 80next year. They are both keen gardeners and have a medium + size garden. The main difficulty is that there are a two short slopes to be negotiated. The longer slope (only about 3~4m) is about 20deg the short slope is only about 2~3m but about 30deg. I am acutely aware of the H&S aspects of mowing across the angle rather than up and down. Could anybody recommend a good mower with optional mulching capability to cope with these slopes as well as garden beds and edges? Most of my FIL garden equipment is Honda and he is very happy with them that said I am sure he would consider any good quality brand.

Many thanks.

Derek

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Purchase advice

A riding mower will be great if you're hoping he'll turn it over on the slopes. Be sure to not get one with roll-over protection (ROPS).

o

I remember when my dad got a Simplicity for cutting the grass at their place in the country. He had to buy another one that had limited-slip traction feature. It was quite easy to get stuck with the first one.

Maybe the most important thing is to let him drive it, on his own property if possible. The last new car I bought, the dealership let me take it home for a day without signing a purchase form.

o

Not very helpful.

D

o

• Posted by ericwi Dane County WI (My Page) on
    Mon, Oct 28, 13 at 22:04

I don't think that it is safe to use a riding lawnmower on 20 or 30 degree slopes. An agile young person might have time to jump off and get out of the way when the inevitable roll begins, but that does not make it a good idea. The slopes can be mowed with a hand push mower.

o

If price is not a problem then go to your local John Deere dealer and check out what they have to offer.They will let you hop on and try it out.Deere has something for everyone.Best of luck to you.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lawn Mowers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here