Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
edwardh1_gw

snapper 21 self prop, blade (s) questions

edwardh1
12 years ago

Blade replacement time

I use my mower to cut a 100 x 100 ft subdivision house lawn- st augustine grass . Also I have a vacant lot 100x200 that the grass grows deep on as I only cut it 6 times a year- lawn type is weeds hee hee.

the manual lists 3 blades

- a 2-6691 standard lift blade

- 1-7168 mulching blade and a

- ninja blade.

the mower has a side discharge attachment, and also a "recycling mulching" attachment which just blocks off the side discharge.

It came with a ninja blade- they are more expensive. If I buy a standard blade and use the mulching plate will I get any mulch effect or do I need the mulching blade too?

whats the ninja blade about?.

I tried mowing the vacant lot with the mulcher plate on and it was grim/poor - too much grass, so I now use the side discharge chute on the vacant lot - that works

are US made blades like oregon brand better than chinamart stuff

Comments (4)

• rustyj14
    12 years ago

In answer to your question about blade/price---remember this: The quality of an item is usually determined by its price!
    To wit: Buy cheap--receive cheap!

Another way to say it: You can buy a Craftsman lawn tractor, and pay about what you can afford, and usually get 6 years of use from it.
    You can also buy a much better brand, at a higher price, and you should get a much longer period of use from it.
    Motto: Save a little now-spend more on repairs later.
    Also, if you haven't learned about the difference between low price and high price--maybe you should go back to school and start over!
    My dear old Father had a saying: "Buy the kids shoes, send them to school---and they eat the books!"

• bluemower
    12 years ago

the St Augustine is very common in florida. This stuff grows about 1 inch per day in the rainy season. If you mow every two day, you might keep it looking ok. I recall lawns that were 5- 6 inches higher than the sidewalks after a few years.

I suspect you should probably bag the stuff around the house. Use the side discharge on the weed field.

I moved to Colorado about 30 years ago. OEM Craftsman or MTD blades last about the same as Oregan blades when mowing field grass. There is a lot of sand in field grass and this erodes the metal quickly. My impression is OEM john deere blades last longer than Oregan when mowing the field grass.

• fruitjarfla
    12 years ago

Ninja is a mulching blade -- customarily used with the mulching plate installed. The plate keeps the cut grass inside the deck where it gets chopped up. St. Augustine grows 1 inch per day? Mid-Florida -- I cut mine one time per week except during the cooler months when it gets cut when needed. I do not bag. The U of Florida extension service suggests no bagging. Bag the grass only when it gets way too high. If I were going to replace my blade, I would buy a Snapper brand - available from a dealer, Amazon, E-bay, etc.

• edwardh1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

No, I do not bag.
    and I really do not need to mulch leaves that much, as not many leaves.
    Question - if you use the standard, regular snapper blade, and install the mulcher plug do you get a mulcher effect or do you also need a mulcher blade?