Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mvron

Honda Harmony BBC stuck solution

mvron
12 years ago

At the beginning of this mowing season a local Honda dealer gave me this mower for free due to the fact that the BBC was frozen and the mower wouldn't run when engaging the BBC. I was tslking to local repair shop - this guy is really good - and he told me to just start the mower with the BBC engaged. I bungie tied the BBC, started it up and it runs just great. I thought that the mower would die during the mowing season - didn't happen - still running. Just be careful knowing that the blade is always turning.

Comments (12)

• rosemallow
    12 years ago

I would fix it. The parts are not a super amount of money.There was a retrofit for that unit.
    This is in my opinion a safety feature especially if you are changing a bag or the mulch plug.
    If you want I will fax you the way to perform this.

• mvron
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I would be interested in your solution but I don't have any way to receive a fax. Is there another media solution that you could send - pdf/doc etc?
    Thanks Mvron

• 1saxman
    12 years ago

The whole concept of the BBC is decadent. Why would anybody want to leave the mower running while working on it or picking up a stick or other debris? The expense, the maintenance, the weight, the unreliability, all to replace a pull on the starter cord?

• mvron
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Saxman1:
    This has nothing to do with the "pull on the starter cord". The mower starts - with the pull cord - and runs perfectly. I never have to do any maintenance on the mower - other than oil changes, blade maintenance etc. The mower is always off when doing these tasks.

• rustyj14
    12 years ago

The whole reason for the BBC is to keep Dumbo from getting his fingers and hands cut off when he or she sticks their hands and/or feet in the vicinity of the revolving blades and or engine parts! Just try sticking you hand under the machine while it is running! Unless you have arms like a Go-rilla, it is almost impossible. You will have to release the safety bar, which will stop the engine very quickly, thereby saving you from a future life-time of typing on the computer, using your nose to push the keys!
    Of course-there are folks who have devised various tricks of keeping the bail handle engaged, but that trick will very quickly negate the receipt of large amounts of cash when you sue the maker for damages, because you thought they were at fault! Stupid is, as stupid does!

There are those living among us, who should never be allowed to own or operate any kind of machinery that revolves, cuts, pumps, or any other mechanical, or electrical type of device, unless they sign a "Stupidity Clause" with an attorney present. IMHO RJ

• rosemallow
    12 years ago

I am really into safety. If you change the bag and the blades are running something can get into your eyes. You could slip and get your finger or hand cut off.
    Anyone who thinks that the blade brake is for a Dumbo is in plain English a Idiot.
    If your wife or son or anyone uses a piece of Lawn Equipment you want them to be safe.
    The manufacturer put the safety items for your safety.

• andyma_gw
    12 years ago

Remember Warren Oates in Stripes? Lighten up, Francis

You keep your stuff safe and you'll be fine. Others were raised in an earlier era when if you injured yourself it was your own durn fault. As such , they resent the idiot proofing done to protect the consumer from his purchase. Just saying is all.

• mvron
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Would like info on the retro-fit kit for the mower (where to get it).
    Thanks..

• quickrick
    12 years ago

Yeah do the retrofit......BBC is my favorite feature on my old Snapper.

I cannot understand why everyone wouldn't want that one.

QR

• roadbike
    12 years ago

Have you tried a dealer for a replacement BBC?

• rosemallow
    12 years ago

I purchase all my Honda parts from http://www.boats.net.

• rosemallow
    12 years ago

If you look up the model on the boats net you will see the parts list.
    You will see there is a spring washer. There was a retrofit for its replacement.
    If the mower will run the blade then the friction disk is fine. The problem is usually the spring hanging up.
    As stated previously a easy fix. Just take the unit apart clean and inspect.
    The only trick on this guy is removing the center bolt.
    There is a grove in the flywheel to lock the shaft.
    I use a impact wrench which saves me a lot of time.