Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lbpod_gw

Many Years Ago

lbpod
13 years ago

Many years ago, (when Hector was a pup), it was recommended

to put up to a quart of automatic transmission fluid in your crankcase, a couple hundred miles before an oil change. The high detergent content in the tranny oil

cleaned the engine. I saw evidence that it worked.

Comments (12)

• lbpod
    Original Author
    13 years ago

This was possed to go with the synthetic oil thread,
    but the powers that be said I had to use a subject line,
    so it made a new thread out of it. Oh well, I'm sure
    I'll get jumped on, but it won't be the first time.

• lbpod
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I forgot to mention, this was for motor vehicle engines,
    not lawn equipment.

• orangedotfever
    13 years ago

I've heard that too. Never tried it myself. Since I always have MMO around for use in my fuel, I just stick to it.

• rosemallow
    13 years ago

I heard this many times, but it is untrue.
    ATF and hydraulic fluids do not have any detergents.
    I copied this from Havoline Oil.
    ATF does not contain detergent chemistry. ATF does contain dispersants, which have properties similar to detergents. But ATF is not formulated to withstand the combustion environment inside the engine. Havoline recommends that you keep the fluids where they belong: motor oil in the crankcase, and automatic transmission fluid in the transmission.
    And you can take that to the bank.

• roadbike
    13 years ago

If you want to really clean out your engine just drain 3/4 of the oil and replace with solvent or gasoline and run wide open for 30 minutes. Guaranteed it will loosen all sorts of crud. If a few oil lines get plugged up - no problem. Just drain and repeat the process till it's clear. After it's shiny inside and the crankcase drains clean it may sound a bit rattly. No problem. Just run a 50/50 mix of engine honey and 50w oil.

• ewalk
    13 years ago

Don't buy the Engine Wash BS unless you wish to prematurely replace Lifters , Rockers and eventually Bottom End Bearing ...Sheeesh !

• rustyj14
    13 years ago

A friend poured 3 quarts of tranny fluid into his engine, before he discovered his mistake! He drove about 30 miles, then drained it out, and installed the correct oil. Said it didn't seem to hurt it.

• lbpod
    Original Author
    13 years ago

In the garage I worked at, whenever you got into a really
    dirty job, (like replacing the rear brakes on a big truck
    that the seal leaked and the diff. gear oil mixed with
    the brake dust), we would massage ATF into our hands before
    washing with the hand cleaners, and it seemed to get more
    of that crud out of our pores. Back then the brake dust was
    asbestos, but I'm not dead yet, (I don't think).

• ewalk
    13 years ago

Old Mechanics use to recommend adding a few (3-5 ounces) of Dextron to the engine oil when noisy hydraulic lifters became came an issue , there is a degree of solvency within Dextron hence the dirty lifter issues quite often were cleaned. However adding a quart or two or even worse Gasoline or as I have hear numerous times Varsol is just Stupid and asking for trouble . Kerosine perhaps in moderation . Even then a few miles and then dump the oil and refresh c/w new filter .

• baymee
    13 years ago

I'd like to look behind the wall and see the tank that supplies MMO to it's filler. I'd laugh if it was ATF.

I spent 27 years at the brewery and we'd put on an 1800 barrel tank of our namebrand product and run a few thousand cases of this and a few thousand of that, changing labels and cardboard and using the same tank.

• roadbike
    13 years ago

"I spent 27 years at the brewery and we'd put on an 1800 barrel tank of our namebrand product and run a few thousand cases of this and a few thousand of that, changing labels and cardboard and using the same tank."

I'm not surprised. Likely very common with breweries that produce for their house labels as well as other beer companies. The label and the image are what most people are buying with beer, wine and hard liquor. Blind tasting and identification tests are usually revealing.

• tomplum
    13 years ago

"If you want to really clean out your engine just drain 3/4 of the oil and replace with solvent or gasoline and run wide open for 30 minutes. Guaranteed it will loosen all sorts of crud. If a few oil lines get plugged up - no problem. Just drain and repeat the process till it's clear. After it's shiny inside and the crankcase drains clean it may sound a bit rattly. No problem. Just run a 50/50 mix of engine honey and 50w oil." That's just too good Roadbike! I could never bring myself to want to clean old deposits out of a crankcase. Not good for what (ales;) ya...