Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
skyssx

Lawn Boy has sagging drive wheel.

skyssx
13 years ago

I work as a service writer at an OPE dealership.

I recently returned my parent's model 10323 to service after several years gathering dust in the back of a shed. Initially, I replaced the CD pack, which got the mower running. It was used a few times, but not regularly since they have a Neuton that does most of the areas just fine. I got to it a month later and it wouldn't start normally. After hitting it with a bit of ether (I know, horrible idea), I checked the gas tank. It was bone dry. I refilled the tank with pre-mix and pulled the recoil starter with the choke off. After a few pulls, it started right up and vomited forth an impressive gout of pre-mix from the muffler. Now I knew why the whole deck was covered in black crap on the rear and front left side.

I did a bit of mowing in some rougher terrain, but noted only one tire was driving. Upon inspection of the drive system, I found one pinion worn into a complete U shape. I rebuilt the drive with new wheels, pinions, friction washers and rocker key washers. I also replaced one missing gear cover.

At this point, I had some serious mowing to do. I mowed with the unit, which I had still not fixed the inlet needle, and it smoked a lot. I purchased one of the new carburetor assemblies, but then thought better of it and just replaced the needle, seat, worn airvane and airvane spring.

At this point, the engine ran great and the wheels would drive at a brisk pace. My sister had moved nearby and just gotten married. For several prior months, she had not mowed her lawn because she was busy preparing for the wedding and only had a MTD non-self-propelled "tiny mower". I took the 10323 over and mowed their entire property on the diagonal. Quality of cut was great, even in the wet 8" grass. I am totally addicted to the 'power hum' of a LB two cycle now!

My only issue now is that the left wheel sags a bit. If you lift the weight off the left side of the mower, it straighens out. I looked underneath and can see nothing that retains the height adjuster assembly on the inside of the deck body. They both appear to just be a slip fit, but only the left side has issues where it walks out too far and sags. Any idea why this is happening and how I could remedy it?

By the way, i'm already looking for a good 22261 to love and to care for. We've got a decent condition 22242 in the back that barely runs, but it has the B&S 4-cycle engine on it. Is the 22242 deck compatible with the DuraForce engine? If so, I could just buy that and swap all the 2-cycle bits over.

Thanks for your time.

Comment (1)