Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
flyashspider

21' Sears sel propelled dies after 15 minutes

flyashspider
12 years ago

I have a 7 year old Sears 7Hp self propelled 21" mower; model # 917.377820. I bought it to specifically cut a 200' by 15' hillside. Initially it worked very well but as of late it has begun to sputter and die after about 15 to 20 minutes. This would be the third pass along the 200' length. The hillside is inclined at around 25 to 35 degrees. Once it dies there is the strong smell of gasoline and it will not restart unless it sat on level for about 15 minutes. The oil level is fine and the gas tank always near full. I've also changed the airfilter as this mower seems to be very sensitive to even modestly dirty airfilters.

Any suggestions.

Comments (2)

• 1saxman
    12 years ago

The carburetor float is sticking, causing the engine to flood. Use stabilizer in the fuel all the time and some Marvel Mystery Oil or Seafoam. Next time you cut the slope, have the fuel tank only half full.

• carlcarew
    12 years ago

one other possibility is that if the cap has a vent hole it may be partially clogged. The full or nearly full tank will agrevate this since there will only be a little air in the tank to start. Try to blow out the hole (if there is one) with compressed air. I had this problem on my John Deere tractor