Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dpvirginia

lawn mower repair cost

dpvirginia
14 years ago

Just received an estimate of $165 to repair my mower. The next shock was seeing the cost of new mowers.

--any advice on whether it makes sense to put more money into this mower, which has already had two other repair/tune-ups?

The repair shop said that it will rebuild the carburator and put a new belt on the mower. This is a Scotts 22" mower with a Tecumseh engine--6.5 hp OHV engine on "high-wheel power-propelled front wheel drive 3-in-1 convertible - mulch/bag/discharge" mower." --Scotts Model # OVRM105-120, bought about 8-10 years ago.

Is $165 a fair price for a repair like this? This is a repair shop based in the Wash.DC/northern Virginia area. --Thanks for any advice....

Comments (15)

• baymee
    14 years ago

Most mowers with carb problems need the main jet cleaned and that's all. Maybe 10% need a total carb rebuild.

Around here, which is definitely not DC, your bill might be $80.

• corvetteguy
    14 years ago

You can easily change a belt.
    Removing and cleaning a carb is not difficult.
    If you lay out an area where you can disassemble
    the carb (kitchen table)and you carefully take the
    carb apart watching the main jet as you remove the
    bowl it may be an hour job.
    A can of carb cleaner and a small stiff brush
    and a air compressor to blow out passages and you
    are done.
    Usually the dirt in the bowl, jet are easy to see
    and the process is not difficult.

When you are done, it should run good for a few
    years. If it doesn't work you will have the extra money
    to buy new.

• rolm
    14 years ago

Here in the Toronto area large Lawnmower shops charge $80 to $120 plus parts for a basic tune-up. Basic means sharpen blade, change oil, clean main jet on carb, everything else is extra. Average bill on a mower is around $160 plus tax. If you do not want to spend that on a repair. As an option they happen to have a bunch of new mowers you can buy.

Keep in mind shop rent, labour costs, taxes and a bunch of other cost shops can't spend their time on small repairs.

• davidandkasie
    14 years ago

around here many small shops will do the job for about 50.00 plus parts. how much is the parts breakdown out of that 165? but i agree, it has pretty much lived it's life an no way i would sink that much into it. i would get the parts and DIY it if anything.

• harrispower
    14 years ago

We've been in business for nearly 40 years and it is amazing how much repair costs have gone up. Our company sells Husqvarna lawnmowers, but repairs mowers of all types. If you're in the Virigina area, give us a call and we can see if we can keep you next repair from being so costly.

Here is a link that might be useful: lawnmowers virginia

• andrelaplume2
    14 years ago

I can attest that the carb cleaning is not as bad/hard as I thought it would be and I am no mechanic. I did it to my 13 year old snowblower this year...with some guidance from the folks in t his forum. I ended up having to replace a belt too but I have now used it (instead of my newer thrower) several times...its running strong. Also, I'd think it easier to get at the parts on the lawn mower than the snowblower...that was half the battle.

So fo maybe $35 in parts, why not go for it!

• chesapeakebeach
    14 years ago

I agree with andrelaplume2. The majority of the expense on a mower repair involves labor (just like a car repair). Also, the shop is probably marking up the parts 50 to 100 percent. So it's worth it to do the job yourself if you're willing to get your hands a bit dirty (and you won't have to life the mower into the car!).

FWIW the average mower life expectancy is 7 years and 120 hours (less if an owner doesn't do oil and filter changes, leaves the thing out in the rain, etc.). Given those numbers, I wouldn't pay to get your mower fixed again -- I'd buy new (or nearly new on Criagslist, where there are some huge bargains to be had if you're patient).

• roadbike
    14 years ago

Seems high for the work being done. Most mower repairs can be done at home if you are willing to read up a bit and do the job thoroughly.

For whatever it is worth, comparing the cost to repair with the resale value of the mower makes no sense unless you plan to sell the mower after repairing it. You have already paid for that mower so any additional cost simply extends the life and usefulness of the mower. If you find someone who will do the work for $100 then you wil have a functioning mower for far less than the cost of a new one. Do it yourself and you will have the satisfaction of learning something new and saving a ton of money.

• walt2002
    14 years ago

"You can easily change a belt.
    Removing and cleaning a carb is not difficult."

Agree, plus if the mower runs, there is a good chance that using SeaFoam per instructions on the can may take care of the carb.

You didn't say what the mower was doing/not doing that causes you to say you need carb cleaned.

"So it's worth it to do the job yourself if you're willing to get your hands a bit dirty "

Ditto

Walt Conner

• PRO
    Robb's Small Engine Repair
    6 years ago

I wouldn't pay $165.00 take it to another shop or do the tune up your self or sell it and purchase another mower. Why you ask? well Tecumseh is no longer in business that is sad because there small engines blew Briggs & Stratton away! anyway you can still get parts but the carbs, and setup is not the same as Briggs and won't interchange.plus the mower is 10 years old if it was a Honda mower different story. you can't polish a turd..and the shop knows that.Rebuild a carb ?? there is nothing in it to rebuild lol float, needle valve, and one jet, take that back this carb has two small holes for jets which you can blow out,one round rubber gasket oh ya one small rubber seal where the float needle valve seats you know the small bullet looking thing that is attached to the float . the seal and gasket dry rots but the rest can be cleaned and cleared with high pressure air. But ya sell it and buy a Honda cost about $360.00 to $450.00 but worth it. You get what you pay for. or buy a Snapper i've always liked them.but i'm from Dallas,Texas where the summers suck and winters Hahaha What winters?

Good Luck with your mower and sorry for making this comment so long..

• bradbuster
    6 years ago

Hello Folks

i have seen where so many people think, well I can fix it at home for some much less. Guess what you will spend more time looking for parts you lost or pulling the carb. off and on because of no fuel or to much fuel (flooding), There are a lot of small secrets that the public does not know that can cost them time and much aggravated scenarios. Trust me, I have been in this predicament with many friends and family members. They end up callin me to fix their screw ups. Such as lost parts, stripped screws, linkage problems and extra parts. Some of these people make this sound like you can do this with your eyes closed and save all this money. I would appreciate it if all of you that take the advise please post after you have done this and let me know how it works out. For the guys and gals that know how to work on these engines a little inside joke between us. What is missing when you use a air hose to clean certain carbs. and probably don't have to add this, but it floods "bad" let me know if you got it.

Thanks, Brad B. Edmond Oklahoma

• HU-481253734
    4 years ago

Bad flooding? I'm assuming you're speaking in reference of a Briggs engine with a bowl carb.... In which case either the needle valve is missing the rubber tip (or is damaged), or the seat seal is damaged/deteriorated/missing. Theres also the possibility of debris causing the needle valve to stick open, the float isnt floating, or (as I've seen once before) a drill was used to clear a clogged jet & was reamed out far beyond what the carb can handle.

Buggered up/modified governor springs can cause a good bit of grief as well.

Then there's the Briggs mowers with the Quattro model engines... all too often the o rings at the carb/engine connection aren't seated right (or even missing!) causing a too lean of mixture.

• andrelaplume2
    4 years ago
    it is true a DIY repair might take you down a rabbit hole cost you a little more than maybe you thought and end up making things worse. I personally take my good newer equipment to local dealer. however my local dealer many times has given me tips on how to try to fix my older equipment and I get tips here. To be honest it does take a little longer but I like learning new things and there was a feeling of accomplishment that comes with repairing something. In the end if I screw it up I'm no worse off than when I was because I probably was going to buy something new anyway. I think that guy with his older mower is definitely better off trying to fix himself or more likely better off just getting a new mower. I wonder what he ever happened? Now had it been a two or three year old Toro purchased from a dealer I most likely would have sucked it up and paid the dealer and educated myself on how to ensure the problem wouldn't occur again... perhaps a gas issue who knows.
  • ssewalk1
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Andre , didn,t realize you had been on the Forum for almost 10 yrs . Ole Virginia, s mower would have entailed most likely 1 h r shop time for carb clean and tune . Belt replacement 1/2 hr and $10 for new belt . Total cost @ $40 / hr labour $70 including a dose of Startron and a spritz of dry moly on the axle shafts and carb and choke linkages . Fortunately us Pop and Son neighbourhood repair shops have low over head that we can pass on a substantial saving for out the door servicing !