Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jbcbussoft_gw

Engine doesn't seem to be getting fuel

jbcbussoft
14 years ago

I have a Sears 6.5hp Briggs & Stratton mower that will not stay running. To start the mower there is a button that is to be pushed 3 times and then pull the cord. The mower starts and then dies. If the button is pushed several times the mower will run longer. It appears to not be getting gas. Thinking there was a carburetor problem I replaced it. no change. The fuel flows freely from the fuel line when pulled from the carb. Any ideas on which way to go?

Comments (9)

• 1saxman
    14 years ago

Does it have a Tecumseh engine?

• jbcbussoft
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Nope, it is a Briggs and Stratton

• baymee
    14 years ago

That's kind of a mystery. It's a fuel issue, but throw in a curveball of a new carb.......Was the carb brand new, never used? I would suspect a dirty bowl nut.

• jbcbussoft
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I ordered it new from Sears. Where is the bowl nut? Is it in the carb?

• tomplum
    14 years ago

It is possible that you have an issue with the intake manifold cracking/ loose or the seal did not get replaced. Model and type #s would help. Either that or you have contaminated the new carb w/ water or debris.You will have to drop the bowl to see. The main jet is in the nut that retains the bowl. Now might be a good time to clean the fuel tank and flush the line of debris or replace it. Add fresh clean gasoline only.

• baymee
    14 years ago

I'll drag out my pictures of Tecumseh bowl nuts. The one looks similar to a Briggs.

{{gwi:126852}}

• jbcbussoft
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Ok I will clean the fuel tank and line.

• shen201
    14 years ago

I seem to have a similar problem, no fuel to the machine. However, it is strange that when it lies on its left side (when I stand behind and facing it) it seems to get the fuel and can be primed, while standing in normal position it does not get fuel and cannot be primed even when I held down the safety bar (required during starting and running). After priming it and returning it to standing position, it can be started, but it stopped almost instantly - most likely due to lack of fuel. How do I solve this problem? Can mail me at shen201@yahoo.com

Have you solved your problem?

• shen201
    14 years ago

It is strange that when it lies on its left side (when I stand behind and facing it) it seems to get the fuel and can be primed, while standing in normal position it does not get fuel and cannot be primed even when I held down the safety bar (required during starting and running). After priming it and returning it to standing position, it can be started, but it stopped almost instantly - most likely due to lack of fuel. How do I solve this problem? Can mail me at shen201@yahoo.com