Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
c3pilot

Craftsman/ B & S Mower will not stay running?

c3pilot
13 years ago

Hello all,

First post time poster been lurking for a while, great info here.

I just picked up a Craftsman riding mower with a Briggs and Stratton 13.5 hp I/C

Model: 28r707

Type: 0140-01

Code: 968524ZA

The mower has been setting outside for it's whole life I think, 10 years maybe? The starter and flywheel gears (both nylon) are shot. No problem replacing those but before I dumped any money into the mower I thought that I would see if it ran ok first. Now dont laugh at my temporary fix, but I removed the tins and fly wheel screen and wraped a pull cord around the screen mounting flange. No joke on the third pull it fired right up. And yes I know and agree that no air-cooled engine should be ran with out the tins. So I put the tins back on without the screen to see if it would drive and mow. I did remove and clean the carb, spark plug, gas tank, and blew out the cooling fins first. Now the trouble.

First to start the engine under normal circumstances the clutch must be pressed all the way down, your butt must be in the seat, and the PTO (blades, not really a PTO) must be disengaged. Since I'm working alone I jumped the seat micro switch, pressed and locked the clutch down, made sure the blades were off, and turned the key to the on position. Wrapped and pulled and it starts on the first pull every time. However when I try to engane the blades (which opens a start micro switch) the engine dies or if I release the clutch (which opens a start micro switch) the engine dies.

I zipped tied the mower blade and clutch micro switches and the mower drives and cuts just fine. Yes this might work but I would really like to make it right. Any suggestions on where to look in the electrical system to fix the problem? I think the problem might be in the ignition switch, but I'm also wondering if I need to remove the seat jumper after it has been started?

Thx in advance,

C3pilot

Comments (5)