Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
joetoe

Looking For Top Rated Lawn Edger for Homeowner

John near Toledo
11 years ago

I am looking for a top rated Lawn Edger for a Homeowner use.

There are allot of Companies out there that offers you everything under the sky, but when something goes wrong they are No wheres to be found or tell you sorry about your luck.

Just who makes a top rated Lawn Edger that will stand behind their product and that will lasts for years.

There are allot of low priced one on the market with little or no warranty. This is not what I am looking for.

Yes you can get a top rated Lawn Edger for an average price without spending an arm and leg for them.

Comments (5)

• bluemower
    11 years ago

I don't know who makes the top model.

This company may be worth looking at:
    http://www.mclanemower.com/

Here is a link that might be useful: McLane Edger

• Brandon Smith
    11 years ago

I do not like electric lawn equipment but fir the past 6-7 years I have been using a black and decker 1.5hp model my father in law let me borrow that just doesn't seem to ever get returned!

He had it for years before it made it to me too. It's not something I use often (maybe 2-3 times a year) and as time goes on and the edging gets more defined, I seem to use it less. This is because I can just clean the ede up with my trimmer/weed whacker turned 90 degrees.

So if you can get one for $100 that lasts for 15 years, does the warranty really matter?

• Greg Goyeneche
    11 years ago

First, let me say that I am a "wheeled, walk behind edger" kind of guy. If you're looking for a "stick edger", look at some other posts.

The two best professional quality edgers are the Power Trim and Little Wonder. Both start around $500 for a basic model with Briggs & Stratton engine, and go to nearly $900 for the top-of-the-line with Honda GX engine. Both entry level machines (Power Trim 150 or 200, and Little Wonder 6001) are excellent homeowner machines, even if a little expensive.

Both are sold by dealers, which also handle the warranty. Little Wonder is also sold on the internet for less, but then you've got to go to a dealer for warranty. While a dealer won't refuse to do warranty work if purchased elsewhere, during busy season you will go to the back of the line, in preference to his regular customers.

McLane, as previous poster mentions, is an excellent "home-owner" machine. List pricing starts about $425 for the entry level with Briggs engine to $650 for their best with Honda GX engine. I don't recommend the low-end model 137. For a few $$ more, I'd get the 101 or the 801, which have four wheels and a few other features.

The Briggs powered machines are widely available on the internet as low as $300, but then you have to go to an independent shop for warranty work.

In all cases, the engine is warrantied separately by the manufacturer, although the same shop that handles any of the three edger lines can usually handle Briggs or Honda.

Even the low end machines with a Briggs should be good for 10 years homeowner if you maintain it properly. This means regular oil changes, filter changes, greasing fittings, and oiling wheel bearings, etc. Also important to either drain gas for the off-season or use a fuel stabilizer such as Sta-Bil. With the same type of care, the Power Trim or Little Wonder machines with the Honda GX140 should last 20 years or more.

• Brandon Smith
    11 years ago

You got a link to those edgers? I've never seen/hears much about them but since the main reason for me not using the aforementioned electric edger is the cord, I may have to look into one of the Honda powered edgers.

• Greg Goyeneche
    11 years ago

Power Trim

http://www.powertrim.com/products.htm

Little Wonder

http://littlewonder.com/lw-edgers_chart.asp

I used to own both Power Trim and McLane when I lived in Southern California. Now in Jersey I have a Little Wonder 6032 with the Honda GX140 engine, so I'm familiar with all three.