Return to the Lawn Mowers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
tractor clicks

Posted by atp22 none (My Page) on
Wed, Oct 5, 11 at 16:59

My craftsman lt1000 will not start. When I turn the key it sounds like a machine gun. I replaced the solenoid. Battery has full charge. I have 12 volts coming into solenoid, but do not have 12 volts coming out to starter. When supply 12 volts to starter tractor starts no problem. My only guess is that the solenoid is not getting ground from the saftey switches. Any help much is appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: tractor clicks

If you haven't done so already, have the battery load tested and clean the battery terminals with a file. You need a sound battery, clean terminals & a solid ground to make this work. You can test your safety switch theory by actually grounding the opposite terminal from the trigger wire.

o

My batery is putting out 13.2 volts. I cleaned the terminals and the ground. Which one is the trigger wire? Do you mean the ground on the solenoid?
Alex

o

OR you can jump from the large starter solenoid terminal where the cable from the battery attaches to the small starter solenoid terminal that comes from the ignition switch. IF the starter runs now, battery, connections, starter solenoid and starter are OK. Does sound like voltage drop caused by corroded safety switch contacts to me.

Walt Conner

o

"My batery is putting out 13.2 volts." That only means that you have a high surface charge and has no bearing with what will happen under load. Yours is a 4 post solenoid. + battery, to starter, safety line- ground input and a trigger wire which feeds 12v to crank.

o

Ok. It may be battery then. I tried starting it today and it turned the flywhee, a little.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lawn Mowers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here