Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jjsc44

14 hp briggs wont run

jjsc44
14 years ago

I have a 14 hp briggs motor model# 287707 on a 33inch snapper mower. It died while mowing. I thought it ran out of gas but it didn't. It now will barely run at an idle. I cleaned the carb and the little electric valve on the bottom of the carb is working. It has good spark and compression any ideas?

Comments (13)

• walt2002
    14 years ago

Yes, remove the valve cover and see if both push rods are intact and that the valves are working properly.

Walt Conner

• tomplum
    14 years ago

Did you find any water /debris when you cleaned the carb? Fuel fresh? If so, did you at least run the line and replace the filter? Good flow of fuel the carb? Check the vent is open on the fuel cap and fuel shut valve as well if equipped.

• jjsc44
    Original Author
    14 years ago

changed the fuel filter and changed fuel still the same will check the valves tommorrow does anyone know what the clearances should be. thanks the leaves are really piling up

• tomplum
    14 years ago

The clearances are .004" intake .006" exhaust +/- .001" Set 1/4" after TDC. I think what Walt was referring to would be visible such like a damaged push rod or rocker. Let us know what you see. If that seems Ok, be more specific on how it is running.

• roman_2009
    14 years ago

I have a similar problem. 12 hp john deere that quit running in the middle of cutting grass. put new spark plug and it has fire. Sprayed starter fluid in carb, but still didn't fire. sprayed wd 40 on the valves and pushed them in and out with finger. NO success.

Help is appreciated...

• tomplum
    14 years ago

"I have a similar problem. "
    Ideally, you should start a new thread in the tractors forum. Engine model / type #s are needed too. Also tell us the gap you found or if one valve seemed to have excessive clearance or not.

• jjsc44
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for all the help. I took the valve cover off and one of the rocker arms was off. I had been having a bit off trouble starting it, I assumemed the starter was going bad but evidently I was incorrect. Does anyone know the exact procedure for adjusting the valves as I don't have a service manual for this engine. thanks.

• tomplum
    14 years ago

Had it just come loose? The studs sometimes come loose from the head. You will need to know the push rods are are still straight and the stem caps are there. You can just use the specs and be kind to the set screw by not tightening the outer nut after setting the screw or the adjuster can become damaged. Walt in his generosity has sent instructions in the past if you email him.

• jjsc44
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I found the intake pushrod had broke. I got a new one and just need the instruction on how to set the valves. I don't know how to email Walt as I don't have his email address. I want to thank everyone for their help.

• jjsc44
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I may have another problem with the valves because I seem to have excessive clearance even with the nut on the rocker arm turned all the way in. The studs that screw into the head that the rocker arm bolts to hasn't loosend up. The push rod is a new briggs and stratton one. Anyone got any ideas.

• walt2002
    14 years ago

Well you must have found my address. As Tomplum said, is the cap that sits on top of the valve stem there? Even if it weren't, I thought there was enough adjustment to take up the space.

Are you sure the rocker arm isn't cracked thru the pivot?

If that pushrod broke from having a very worn spot in it, you are probably OK but if that was not the reason, look for sticking valve, loose valve guide or what caused the push rod to break.

Walt Conner

• jjsc44
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks everyone for your help expecially you Walt your a life saver. It is now running. I guess I need new bifocals because I couln't see the little allen screws in the rocker arm, once I found it, it went back together fine. Its running better than it ever has. Thanks again.

• grandpas
    13 years ago

I have a 14.5 OHV 287707- put on new aluminum flywhell and starter gear changed oil and ridder ran fine. Next time not running mas well gas mixing with oil. So i put on a new carburetor. Now its hard to start backfires when it does run if you rev up throttle it won't increase the rpms.
    After running for a little while muffler gets hot and starts smoking. I need help guys Were is this WALT CONNER
    guy when you need him?